Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has just landed in NZ (Auckland at present) for a few months, and I'm thinking about a visit. Also would appreciated advice on smaller towns, not overrun by tourists. Please PM me if convenient. Thanks very much.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
no, mate. they're all over here.

ha ha... the whole place is overrun with tourists. and they f hate it. ask me how I know...
I would not describe the fishery as friendly, mate. definitely not. the cities may be entirely different?

be lucky,
perhaps americans will fare better (that was hard to type without guffawing),
shawn

protip: one cannot buy trout in nz. you'll be basically playing with someone's groceries in front of them.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
no, mate. they're all over here.

ha ha... the whole place is overrun with tourists. and they f hate it. ask me how I know...
I would not describe the fishery as friendly, mate. definitely not. the cities may be entirely different?

be lucky,
perhaps americans will fare better (that was hard to type without guffawing),
shawn

protip: one cannot buy trout in nz. you'll be basically playing with someone's groceries in front of them.
When I was about 12 a girl appeared in my school one year that had moved from Oregon. This was in the 70s (the decade of Punk Rock) and apparently there was an informal campaign to convince people that Oregon was a terrible place in order to keep the tourists away and generally from moving there. Anyway, I think she was the first girl I had a crush on, probably because of her attitude and her collection of many t-shirts that said things like “Every year many people fall off their bicycles in Oregon and drown”. I guess the NZlanders might have good reasons to do the same. I’ve heard about the bring-your-own-fish-to-restrauants situation, but otherwise only very good things about the people.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not only harsh but only about 50% intelligible. A bit of the late night whiskey talking on that post??? Either way it was quite funny.

I spent a few months in Turangi and this is a great place to visit. I think there should still be rainbows around in the Tongariro and big browns will be coming up as well. Great swinging water and lots of other good rivers near by. If you like hiking, Tongariro crossing is a great hike, although a bit busy.

A short drive away is Hastings/Hawkes bay which gives you a lot of other options for fishing. You really can't go wrong in NZ.

SM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts