Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there tying up Musky Fly's. Since I live by Lake St Clair now, I am going to start pursuing Musky on the fly, just looking to see if anyone out there is tying up some patterns

·
Registered
327 Posts
Very nice!! You must use a big mother rod to cast that cork head mouse!!
Brings back memories of huge pike in Yellowknife. Very nice!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Very cool flies!! I never casted a fly that size it must no be fun .but to see a giant pike or musky break the water to take that fly its got to be wort the pain.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
It's not as miserable to cast as you would think. I can cast it on my 8wt if I work my ass off but a musky has no place on the end of an 8wt imo. The ten weight tosses it like to tomorrow as does my 7wt Echo sr

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Nice flys guys! I'll bet those were pricey to tie when the hackle prices went through the roof when the feather in the hair trend happend.:eek:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice Ties and fly's keep posting what you got...Im going to start tying some up

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
michifin,
IMO partridge hooks are the only way to go. They are light wire for their size but ultra sharp and ultra strong. The universal predator is my favorite in 6/0 and 8/0.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice tie voodoo fly....beer is meh alright

·
Registered
895 Posts
Wow, those are all great looking! I could tie a hundred trout files with the material on one of those!

They're bigger than some of the fish I catch around here!

-Bill

·
fly on little wing
1,121 Posts
I never casted a fly that size it must no be fun .but to see a giant pike or musky break the water to take that fly its got to be wort the pain.
it takes some practice double hauling a SH 10wt with a 10-12" long fly.
i am tired after casting all day.
for reference, it is easier to cast a 18' 11wt 2-handed rod all day.
and, yep, that violent explosion is a rush.
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here is one I'm experimenting with for a fly swap on another board. Will neaten up the head ..........

Pike love perch....

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
esoxulator's hands must be made of leather

I love the flies - big enough for marlin, but holding a musky's jaws open to photograph them made me cringe - not for the fish but for Esoxulator. Isn't that what those springy wire mouth openers are for? They don't call them toothy for nuthin. Too cool:cool:

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Haha I like to live life on the edge. It wasn't nearly as sketchy as it looks and I wouldn't have done it on any other fish. I still used my Pliers to remove the hooks. i certainly wouldn't be putting my hands IN the mouth but around isn't all that bright either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts