Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud owner of a used Marquis Salmon #2. Expecting the reel in a few days. I don't know anything other than I think this'll be a good fit on my 15'1'' Sage.

Are these reels RHW only? Easy to maintain? Should I keep a spare reel repair pack handy? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Almost bomb proof, only complaint you should have bought the No3 hush my mouth they are hard enough to pick up cheap as it is.

I only use RHW reels so I have know idea whether you can turn them to work the wrong way. I think you can.

·
Registered
215 Posts
They are excellent reels. Old-fashioned pawl check, adjustable by means of a small knob on the back plate. They have two pawls, so even if you have a problem with one, there is a backup. Very easy to reverse for LHW.

Obviously they don't have the strength or smoothness of drag of a disc-drag reel, but a good exposed rim allows for easy palming.

They are well built and the simple mechanism means there is very little to go wrong. A wipe over and a dab of grease is all the maintenance they need. If I was dropped in the jungle and had to rely on a single reel, I don't think I could choose better than a Marquis. Not glamorous, perhaps, but a true workhorse.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Salmon #2

In my opinion the Salmons are really nice reels. I love mine. The models I have are easily switched from right to left. My advice is to treat it lovingly and don't ever sell it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Music to my ears!

Glad to hear they can be LHW. My one-handed rod reels are all RHW but for some reason I like a LHW on a two-hander.

Sorta funny how I saw a bunch of Hardy's pop-up lately. I was going to buy a #1 till this one came up. What really sweetened the deal was a spare spool too.

I imagine they have enough capacity for a Mid-Spey or the like without having to go to gel-spun?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Salmons

I have an Airflo Traditional 9/10 on my #2 with lots and lots of 50# Dacron. You will have plenty of room with your MidSpey.

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Hello Lambchop,

At the moment I own three Marquis Salmon #3 reels, and in my mind they are nice old style reels. At the time of the old board, there was one trick about the Click check that you may find useful.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have all three of the Marquis Salmon series and always seem to select them over other reels. They are light, have plenty of capacity and are dependable. Be careful not to drop or ortherwise deform the rim on the spool with any Marquis. The rim can catch on the cage of the reel if you do.

I've been engaging both pawls in my Marquis reels like Lohi recommends for several years. I think it is smoother, offers a tad more resistance and it is even LOUDER!

Keep the reel lubricated as the springs and pawls can corrode if the reel is put away wet.

I think you made the right choice by choosing the No. 2 Salmon. The No. 1 is better suited to a 7 or 8 weight anf the No. 3 is simply a behemouth.

Cheers!
pescaphile

·
Registered
294 Posts
Trout ,sizes

are good as well ,most of my lite lining is done with several including a silent ,super little reel that doesnt give other nite fishers a clue that you are into fish ,the drag on the silent doesnt last that long but spares are no problem .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts