Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an old Hardy Marquis 8/9 I want to use on a custom rod, but I just noticed on this particular rod the reel does not seat firmly, even with things tightened up as far as I can do it. Its a bit weird because my Marquis 7 and other marquis reels all seat firmly - they all visually seem to have identical feet (or is is foots?) but on very close inspection the 8/9 seems like it may have gotten enough use to thin the tips a bit. Its not obvious from a visual inspection,but the fact that the problem gets fixed when I fold of piece of electrical tape over the lower end of the foot seem to indicate that this "thinning" may be the culprit. Could this be a crafting error? The weird thing is that the 8/9 seats fine in every other rod I have, just not the new Meiser I want to use it on.:(

So my questions for you folks are these: is this a common "thing" with well used reels? Is there a nice hack "repair" to fix the foot? Or should I just suck it up and stick to the story that the duct tape on the foot gives added "authenticity" to my equipment?

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,877 Posts
Archuletta

Worth the effort

·
JD
3,614 Posts
you might try

Plastic shim stock. I don't remember where I got the stuff I had, maybe auto parts or hardware store? But it comes in different thickness & is easily cut with scissors. Another handy source for shim stock: cut up clear plastic packaging material. You know, that stuff that is such a ***** to open and get out anything you bought? It's everywhere. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Heat shrink, works a treat.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Tool Dip

I " fixed" a loose reel for a friend. Ugly but effective. The reel foot was screwed on, which made the fix easier. I removed the foot, dipped each end in tool dip, let it dry, and re-attached. Works great. Cosmetics? A "C" maybe.

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
I've used the electrical tape. Kind of nice as it is easily trimmed to the exact outline of the foot and you can add a few layers to get the fit you want and remove at any point. Worked well for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts