Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We have a dream holiday booked this year and we can't wait!
We are hiring a RV and will drive from Vancouver to Harrison Hot Springs, Hope, Lillooet, Cache Creek, Kamloops, Revelstoke, Golden to Lake Louise flying home from Calgary
I hope to get some salmon fishing in with a Spey rod sometime between 23 sept to 05 oct; maybe 3-4 trips.
Can anyone recommend any local guides, or any 'must do's'
Hope to fish with a fly and for salmon ideally?
Any RV campsites or stops we can't miss?
Thanks for your help
John

·
Banned
904 Posts
Seems a little late for salmon in that area. You can have good trout fishing on egg patterns in some streams.
This will be a very scenic trip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have an awesome trip planned,salmon are starting up in the Vedder at Chilliwack,the lakes around Kamloops are prime in the fall, the Columbia River at Golden is great for bull trout. Call Dave Burns in Golden he is known as the Golden Gillie . Have a fun time

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I would think that the Vedder would have some Coho around, get in touch with Michel n Young in Vancouver for more info!

·
Registered
520 Posts
The Bow river in Calgary can be amazing in late Sept to Oct, if you like swinging for big browns...

Country Pleasures is a great shop in town...give them a call

·
Registered
465 Posts
The very best salmon fishing experience with a fly is summer and early autumn coho fishing off the west coast. West coast of Vancouver Island in particular. There are some similar opportunities off the mid-coast and just south of the Alaska panhandle. Some use a fly rod off the northern tip of the Haida Gwaii (formerly Queen Charlotte Islands).

Many BC anglers enjoy chasing pink and coho salmon off the beaches on the relatively protected east coast of Vancouver Island.

All fishing access is governed by rules of unrestricted access and unlimited effort during permitted time and area openings. So in-river salmon fishing in more easily accessible areas can be congested. If you enjoy the sight of anglers occasionally yelling and screaming at each other or getting into a fist fight, or tossing lead weights directly at First Nation drift fishermen, this is could be for you!

Perhaps spending some money on a guide who runs a jet boat would help avoid crowds and help shape a better angling experience. Private message me if you want a recommendation.

Note that the Fraser should ideally have openings for sockeye, chinook and other salmon this summer but could be just as easily be closed.
As a general rule, ocean survival rates of out-migrating fry and smolts have been very poor in the last ~5 years due to warmer than usual Pacific Ocean temperatures. From SE Alaska all the way down to northern California. Planning in advance is tough. A contingency plan or two might be worthwhile.

The Skeena River looks like it will be closed to all angling for salmon this year.

If for whatever reason, salmon fishing does not work out, think about using a 3 or 4 wt fly rod (single or 2-hand) and dry flies for westslope cutthroat trout in the southern end of the East Kootenay District in the southeast corner of British Columbia. There is terrific fishing for westslope cutthroat trout, Rocky mountain whitefish and Bull charr in both the Purcell and Rocky mountain ranges.

It is possible to find East Kootenay water where watching a couple of dozen drift boats and pontoons go by in the morning is standard fare but with some effort, a high clearance vehicle, a solid pair of legs and some map reading skills, you can find stupendously gorgeous water all to yourself. Or hire a guide with a sturdy 4-wheel drive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies chaps
I am a committed Spey angler and love to swing a fly with a big rod so I am keen to get a guide, find some wilderness and see if I can connect with a salmon if possible
I am a bit spoilt for trout fishing living here in the Peak District in England so I'd rather ask a guide to help me for the day and use a bigger rod.
The YouTube clips en route look amazing, and there's lots of non-fishing world class things to do but I'm desperate for 2-3 days guided fishing if possible
Thanks again
JJ

·
Registered
251 Posts
Coming over to the island with an RV can be expensive, but if you have the time you won't regret it. As a tourist city Victoria is probably one of the best in North America. Depending on conditions there will also be opportunities for Salmon in the rivers and off the beach. If you are interested in the island, let me know and would be happy to recommend campsites, things to do and where to fish.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
With a time frame between 23 sept to 05 oct I would go to some Skeena tribs and chase some wild steelhead!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Your best bet would be to target salmon at the beginning of your trip, near Harrison Hot Springs while you are still relatively close to the ocean. The Harrison could be a good bet to catch lots of chum salmon on the swing. Michael and Young could probably recommend a good guide outfit and having their jet boat to get around the harrison could be helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts