Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fello spey pagers.
I'm going to be relocating from western Canada to Atlantic Canada In the new year for work and will spend the next couple years there on Prince Edward Island.
So to console myself I'm starting to dig for information on fishing destinations. It looks like the game will be for Atlantic salmon, sea trout and striped bass. Not counting the little bug eating trouts of course.
I'm hoping to learn a lot in the coming season fishing for new species and any help is greatly appreciated. I'll certainly be asking for it.
Anyhow I've got it in my mind to fish mainly Nova Scotia waters to learn how to catch Atlantics in 2020 because it seems more affordable. I'm hoping once I've got some game to fish more expensive waters in the future.
Hence the title of this post.
Anticosti Island. Has any one fished there and can it be fished DIY?
I never even knew it existed until last week.
Follow up question, should I even attempt to DIY the Gaspe in 2020 or wait until I know what's up before dropping all that cash on last minute rod days and guides?

Thanks in advance for your wise words.
Lief

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Lief, forget Anticosti ,it isn't what it used to be by a long shot .
PM me with your email co-ordinates and I'll connect you with a superb Nova Scotia fisherman .

·
Registered
450 Posts
PEI has some tiny flows. It also has Atlantic Mackerel which can be good fun on a fly and are excellent eating.

Nova Scotia is open access. So be prepared.

I know where I would head if I was based in that region but it is more expensive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PEI has some tiny flows. It also has Atlantic Mackerel which can be good fun on a fly and are excellent eating.

Nova Scotia is open access. So be prepared.

I know where I would head if I was based in that region but it is more expensive.
Hey Enso,
I'm certainly heading to the land of rod day fees and lotteries at some point, but I gotta start somewhere right?
I've made the mistake in the past of blowing a lot of money chasing species before I had the skill to capitalize on the moment.
So I'm going to learn a bit more about angling for Atlantics and work on my scandi casting before planning my next "trip of a lifetime" 😉

Thanks for the heads up on the mackerel, I hear ther striped bass fishing is picking up too. Although I don't think many on PEI are chasing them with flies yet so it'll be interesting trying to figure that out.
Cheers,
Lief

·
Registered
450 Posts
So I'm going to learn a bit more about angling for Atlantics and work on my scandi casting before planning my next "trip of a lifetime" 😉
Sounds all good except Atlantic salmon are still anadromous salmonids. The ex ante odds are what they are. Personally, I would plan several "trips of a lifetime", especially if you target surface fly takers.

A long time ago I guided tourist anglers in El region de los lagos in southern Chile. Most were American. The ones that enjoyed themselves the most were the ones that learned to roll with the punches.

Those 'punches' could range from lousy weather to uncooperative water conditions to hyperbole-spewing, substandard outfitters.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha everyday I'm dreaming up the next trip of a lifetime, still paying off the last one though heheheh. I'm great at not catching migratory species good thing I love washing flies!

·
Registered
450 Posts
..... I'm great at not catching migratory species good thing I love washing flies!
Good one. My favourite line is that I helping to aerate the stream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts