Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after looking at some more weights. Going to put my ambush tt 265 grain on my 9 ft 6wt. I wanted some input for my 9 ft 7 wt. Extended the fighting butt already and was thinking of using a 320 grain 19 ft skagit head. Wad also wondering if this setup with the skagit head would turn over t8 mow tips with 2-3 inch streamers. Was planning on using polyleaders but if a t8 tip would work that would be nice too. Anybody who has tried this please let me know if the grain weight for the skagit head on my 9 ft 7 wt is correct.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but I have a TFO Ticrx LT that I put a lower grip on and use a Ambush 5 wt @ 215 grains with poly leaders. That line works really well with that rod. I haven't tried any skagits on it, but I do have a 225 Skagit that I need to try some time. I was out the other day with my light switch rod with the 225 Skagit it was throwing a light mow tip pretty good until the wind started blowing straight in my face. I need to get out and do some more line testing on my light switch.

There is a little info on my experience with similar set up.

Dan

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
you might be ok on the 320 but may be a bit on the light side. I converted an old Fisher 10' 7 wt to a switch and am throwing a 350 grain Max short on it but it did ok even with a 375 grain head.

If you already have the 320 then try it and see what you think. It should turn over T8 without too much trouble though I don't know the taper on that line but 320 grains over 19 feet is around 17 grains per foot so twice the T8 grains per foot which should work well

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've converted a 6 and 7 weight single hand rod to two hand use and 315gr is the head weight I use for both.

Incidentally, both rods like the Ambush 7wt for single hand spey. I think single hand spey matches better to a lighter line because of the ability to haul. Also, my Ambush 7 weighed about 20gr heavier than advertised.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I toss a 225 rio skagit max short on my little 11' 2/3 anglers roost stick with light iMow tips (T-8) and 3-4 inch streamers out to 70-80 feet. So yes, it can be done and wouldn't be considered 'too heavy.' Depends on the fly you are trying to chuck. My flies are lightweight yet throw a strong profile so they are easy to cast.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mike, I have the 11ft 2/3 wt rod and I am looking forward to testing out the Skagit 225 on mine. I also have a scandi 210 that I tried once but didn't have a lot of time for testing.

I also have a echo sr 3 wt that will throw the same lines jut a little faster action.

I have a little time tomorrow and will be stopping by the river to do a little testing.

Dan

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Incidentally, both rods like the Ambush 7wt for single hand spey. I think single hand spey matches better to a lighter line because of the ability to haul. Also, my Ambush 7 weighed about 20gr heavier than advertised.
This has been my experience as well, the haul just WORKS. Technique is the lions share of dialing these combos. I've got a Scott 10' S3 6wt lined with a 5wt Ambush.. it will turn over 8' of 10gr per foot sink tip and average tie with ease. You have to speed things up to accomplish this. Velocity goes a long way, without it.. not so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts