Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Spey Is The Way
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to hijack the other thread, I was just afraid this would not be read. Does this mean that if I had a 13 foot 7/8 weight rod I could use a 9 weight, wirght forward line for a single handed rod to cast overhand with?
Another question. What spey line and weight would you use on the St. Croix 13 foot 7/8 line weight rod? Thanks for any help. I have been thinking of getting a spey rod for more than two years, but they are rear here and I will have to buy one to try one.

·
loco alto!
2,990 Posts
I have five different 2handed rods designated somehow as 7 or 8 wts. Each rod is different. Overhead, they cast anything from WF6 to WF12 (35-40' head). A WF9 might be a good starting point, just know that there is a lot of wiggle room.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Going up 3 line sizes from the top number of a 2-hand rod's line designation for to use a single-hand rod line on it would be a good rule of thumb. Realize that not all 2-hand rods will work best with this, as Steve mentioned, but is works more often than not. Therefore, a 10 or 11 wt single hand line would be the line of choice. I think the 9wt will be too light to properly load your 13' St. Croix 7/8.

·
Registered
55 Posts
my experience with this topic is somewhat forced in that i lost my right hand and have to use a two handed rod. nevertheless, the three line sizes up in the regular weight forwards has worked for me. i used this formula sucessfully with both a thomas and thomas 8 weight and a loop green 9 weight. i think that these are generally perceived of as fast rods so perhaps the formula might need to be adjusted with slower rods or different brands. just my two cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts