Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for your input. If I convert a SH rod 8.6 5/6 weight,could I use a 15' Rio tip 150 grains as my head, with maybe tweeking a cheater if need be and use a shooting lazer as my running line with it. The question is, could the tip now be my head. Or am I being too thrifty and should just buy a new head,and what grain window would I use. Again thanks and thank god for this site, who would you ask these question to. slack

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey there slack! I had that same question not too long ago. BUT I am now using the 166gr RIO tip (15ft) on my 7.5 foot 3-weight conversion rod. With a 5 foot slow sinking polyleader I feel that this is rod could handle a bit more load and am playing around with some varying tips. I might even try some t-8.

Anyways, I think this could definitely work as long as you think the 155 grains +/- cheater will do the trick as far as loading the rod enough. Try checking out the AFTM grain chart for single handers and maybe the "2 handed trout" site as they have a handy and pretty accurate how-to on converting and lining the conversion rods.

Ain't this stuff fun!!! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have a 9 ft 6wt with extra handle added and performs like magic with a 5 ambush and 9 ft leader.

I never thought about using tips as a head on light rods. I am going to have to check me out some tips for my 3 wt rod.

Dan

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I tried this on a full action 8' 4wt dh convert, it works but its light, to light in my case perhaps on a full action 2 or 3wt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts