Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'd like to say you guys have a great site here. As if enough myth and mirrors doesn't exist about spey in general, I live in an area where advice is usualy based on heresay. So all the info on this site is greatly appreciated.

I have fished for chrome just about my whole life; with a strong inclination twords methods that taget fish with attitude. So spey fishing is naturaly going to be my final chapter.

I have had the opportunity to fish two rods so far. A CND 13' 8/9 Expert, and a Loomis 14' 9 GL3. Both were lined with Windcutters with tips. In skilled hands I'm sure both rods are excellent tools, but I took a definite liking to the Loomis. Whether the aditional length or the action complimented me is up for debate, but the time has come to make a purchase before I develope any habits with these rods.

From past single handed forays I'm partial to Sage, and have narrowed it down to two rods to suit my needs (30-70ft casts, 2-6ft presentation depth, fish in the 10-20lb range). The 9140-4 traditional, and the 9141-4 european. Line weight ratings and length being roughly equal, it just comes down to the action difference. Although I can fish lazer fast single handers, I realy don't like to, and don't see an advantage in the limited scenario descibed above. What I do lack is a basis of what is considered "fast" in the two handed world. Any opinions, advice, or recomendations are welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi CraigSC,

Welcome to the addictive world of spey. If the bulk of your fishing is going to be 30-70' I would recomend a shorter, lighter rod. Fishing short with a 14' rod is awkward at best. At 70' the casts are just getting comfortable but still a chip shot. I would say that a rod like the 9141 are going to shine 70-100'. If you want to stay with the Sage i would recommend the 8126 with a shorter head like a Skagit type line. Really perfect for the depth and distances that you mentioned.

Greg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Too big of a gun?

my needs (30-70ft casts, 2-6ft presentation depth, fish in the 10-20lb range).
I don't want to throw this off subject, but a 9141 seems like too big of a gun for the conditions you describe. A 13' 7wt or 8wt will handle your situation and be a little easier to cast all day.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Too much

I agree with the people above. A 14ft 9wt is too much rod for casts in the 30-70' range. I too started out with a sage 9140 as my first rod fishing in very similar situations. I have since put her away and gone too shorter and lighter rods. I think that 12'6" to 13"6" 7-9 wts would be more in the range of what you are looking for. CND, MEISER, TNT, GLoomis, SAGE all make wonderful rods in this category. I firmly believe that rods should have more than just two classifications when it comes to action of a rod. There should be 3 or probably 4 that really fit in the whole arena here. I think that a rods action should be listed something like slow, medium, medium fast and fast action. Here is where I see these coming into play. The old Sage 9140 brown is what I would classify as a slow action rod. The newer 9140 would be more of a medium action rod. A CND expert or custom series rod and a few others would be more of a medium fast action rod. Then there are the rods that I would say are fast action. The Gloomis GLX series, TNT, etc. Obviously there are many other rods out there that would fit in here somewhere but it would take forever to name them all. I would try to hit a clave or two and cast as many rods as you can before taking the plunge. Good Luck! For once you go Spey there is no other way..... :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. On the "big gun" thing, guesse quite a few things don't transend over to the two handed world. In the one hand world a heavy sink tip is asking alot of 7wts. Would you guys say that the length of the rod, or line weight contributes more to it being too big of a gun?

Even on areas that are over 100ft wide, a long cast realy won't help at all here. Since these areas here are shallow and boulder strewn,these areas are best fished in sections. Too many fishy seams and pockets to cover in one broad swing.

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
Hi Craig

good advise has been mentioned on previous posts.

too big can refer to length and weight.

from what you describe, 13' would be my max length. maybe down to 10' 6" (check out meiz's stuff from sponsor listing). i would throw any where from 6/7 wt to about 8/9 wt. depends on what you feel comfortable with.

i prefer lighter stuff so i mostly use a 6/7wt or a 7wt (both 13'). these rods easily cast 80' (with 15' type 6 tip), but i can also fish them effectively at 40'.

i fish big water (100yd+ river), so i'm not using shorter rods. but if my primary water was less than 100', then i would look to 10'6" to 12' lengths.

if the water is fast @6' then i would look to type 8 or t-14 tip stuff. i like heavier rods with the heavier tips, because it's easier to bring them up.

we are fortunate to have many choices. your perfect rod is out there.

grandfather could only wish to see so many choices.

Gary

32" early king subdued with a Meiser 13' 6/7

Attachments

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
Hi

JGS is correct.

4" bougle' centenary set for RH.

Lined with Rio Midspey 6/7 tips.

This was a memorable king. I think she was raised by steelhead by the way she fought. Power runs and jumps.

Gary

·
Registered
599 Posts
same reel

I now have the same reel. The spools fit the older bogeles and v'/s. The green fiinish is very hard and looks great. Spools are a light gold color. Great reel.

Rphelps :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. After reviewing your suggestions and researching them, You have swayed me to a lighter, shorter rod. Either a Sage 8126 euro, or a 8136 traditional. After reading reviews on the 8126 and 8136, both seem like logical choices for me. Either way I'll be lining it with a 7/8/9 or 8/9/10 windcutter versi-tip system to keep things simple. I'll also order a skagit cheater and a coil of t-14 to play with. According to a chart I found, these rods should also balance perfectly with my old Islander LA 4.0 (the Mona Lisa now replaced by the LX).

Would I be right in assuming that the 8/9/10 would be a better choice condidering the short working lengths I'll be using?

I'm not looking to be handed the magic combo; Just a strong baseline with which to start my journey. Any additional opinions on these rods or line choices will of course be appreciated. Thanks

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Voodoo, Very nice reel! I'd seen pictures of the reel alone and thought it not so impressive, but on a rod it really looks great!

Craig, if you're going to throw a lot of tips, especially the heavier ones, I'd go with the euro rod. It will be much easier to lift them from the water. The traditional rods can be a real bear for a new caster to lift tips with and the cast will never get off the ground if you can't get that sunk tip and fly up and moving.

If it's possible, I'd buy the rod and then try a couple different lines on it before shelling out $150 for a multi tip system. Do you know any friends or instructors who can bring out a couple of different lines? I'd want to try the Windcutter 8/9/10 and an 8/9 Airflo Delta, and maybe even a Loop Quattro (very nice multi tip shooting head) and find which feels best. They all have very different actions and one will likely stand out for you.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Couple of thoughts here

Depending on the waters you're fishing and presentation, you may want to consider going up a line weight with the Windcutter and leaving out tip 2. This is a quick-and-dirty Skagit approach that is very effective in places where it's a nuisance to try to work out the whole Windcutter type line (50'+). This is particularly useful in tight spaces.

If you go with a faster rod, you'll need to upline more to get the load at your 30-70' distance. Also, you should consider rod loading carefully if you want to fish those shorter distances. I think you might want to consider an even lighter rod, such as the 6126 instead of the 8126. Any of the 6-7 weight rods would meet your need, and make fish fighting more fun.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Get Instruction

before you make up your mind. That will make the learning curve so much shorter. It will also give you and idea of which type rod and line to ick up, as instructors typically have a number of matched rod and line systems to try. It can also give you a chance to find out the weight of line your rod may want. For example, if you know that your rod works well with a 7/8 midspey, you can get a close estimate of the shorter Skagit weight to aim for. Peter-S-C has an excel spreadsheet on the Board that will get you close to what you need.

The shorter Skagit head systems are great for big flies at depth, pocket water, to the distances you are talking about. That can allow you to use a lighter rod effectively in the winter.

I have one of Meiser's rods 13' 6" for 7/8 that would be ideal for the type of fishing you are talking about. I have seen Ed Ward fish very effectively on bigger water with the Sage 7136 and a Skagit system of his design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts