Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fish was caught in Island Pool ,Kharlovka River on 26th June 2009 and was
then tagged,( Then , it weighed 17 Lbs.) Caught by Mark Bird at 715am on the 20th June 2022 having a
quick cast before breakfast. Length 109cm girth 61cm and weighed 35lb.
Water Hunting Vertebrate Smile Sky
Water Hunting Vertebrate Smile Sky

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
The fact that catch and release properly done works is no longer disputable (although some still try...:rolleyes:). Do they all survive? Heck no.... But none of the ones that are bonked on the head and stuck on a BBQ survive.
You want more fish in your river, either for the selfish reason of wanting more fish to catch or the slightly more conservationist reason of wanting more fish to reproduce? Then influence the only element of fish mortality we have any control over; that is how many we kill (for whatever the reason).

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Quite the beautiful fish, and crazy life history!
It is quite different from our Steelhead here in the west where they really don't get any bigger after their 1st trip to sea. Their size is based on how many years at sea they spent.
I can't find the pics of the 2 40# Skeena steelhead from the test fishery that are mounted at the airport with their life history. But if my memory serves me right they were on there 4th or 6th spawning run, and very unusual for bucks!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thirteen years? Did you mean 2019? Awesome either way, with multiple spawns.
Yer right. Mark in all his excitement must have wrote 2009 instead of 2019 . I just cut and pasted his original post .
It's just a magnificent statement for the success of C&R and as Simon mentioned not all will survive but~~~~~

My only concern now is with the large # of large MSW fish turning up this year is that the idiots in charge would even consider in their pea sized brains that we could increase the # of tags

·
Registered
747 Posts
Cool story have seen other similar types of fish being caught either again the same year or in subsequent years. I caught a salmon years ago on the Big Laxa which had been tagged earlier in the summer by another angler. Surprised to see Westerners fishing in Russia this year I know most of the camps were closed or not operating due to the political situation. Also figured it was quite risky to travel there due to risk of being detained, etc. and having no recourse.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My only concern now is with the large # of large MSW fish turning up this year is that the idiots in charge would even consider in their pea sized brains that we could increase the # of tags
It was refreshing to recently see that the proportion of landed fish that were killed on the Causapscaul has declined substantially this year compared to previous years. I consider that river the bellwether for catch and kill across Quebec.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Could be the luck of the draw on bellweathers... more C&R anglers happen to draw dates one year over the next.

I think we're at a point in this sport that newcomers are correctly indoctrinated into C&R, old timers that haven't changed their ways by now will cling to the harvest until they retire their rods.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have watched some videos from two Norwegian brothers who fish for Atlantic Salmon in Norway. This is one of the videos they had on catching a tagged fish. They have some other videos most are in Norwegian but I enjoy them, they are good fishermen and nice to see two brothers enjoying the sport together, etc.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I have watched some videos from two Norwegian brothers who fish for Atlantic Salmon in Norway. This is one of the videos they had on catching a tagged fish. They have some other videos most are in Norwegian but I enjoy them, they are good fishermen and nice to see two brothers enjoying the sport together, etc.

7167 The Goddess.... well worth a look .... thanks John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts