Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to give this another go on a blind eye hook. A few warts but overall I'm happy with this. Herl butt got hidden, throat could be fuller, maybe larger JC, but my JC is running low. Loving these classics with a steelhead twist.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
The accuracy of the distal end blending of that wing is awesome! And I love the subtle swing from yellow to red in the hackle. Frankly, a longer JC would have hidden the herl.

I think your dressing rocks! Can't wait to be introduced to your ghost in person!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Now you're crackin'! I dig a lot of your flies but this particular work tops that list. The platform you chose is very nice and the materials you painted on it shows just how good a tyer you are.

Most of us know that steelhead don't care a fin about our propensity for fancy and featherwork...but that is not important, what is important is we swing the most glory we can muster on an iron:devil:...and that fly you've tied is "glory", my friend.

Take a bow, this one deserves it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That looks awesome! I like your use of peacock instead of quetzal. I hope this one swings up a dandy.

Aaron

·
Undertaker
1,367 Posts
Another very nice tie

I just want to disagree a bit with Adrian.
"Most of us know that steelhead don't care a fin about our propensity for fancy and featherwork...but that is not important, what is important is we swing the most glory we can muster on an iron...and that fly you've tied is "glory", my friend."

For a long time, I basically saw classic married winged flies as odes to Aphrodite - an expression of beauty - well beyond what was needed to catch fish. But, there is something beyond pure beauty in those flies - they swim amazingly well. They sink easily because they are virtually two dimensional, like a knife blade and effectively cut through the water. The wing also ensures they ride upright - displaying a large profile. Hence, for fishing deep without much weight and displaying a large profile, married winged wets on heavy irons are just the ticket. I won't argue that making them just like Kelson, or Pryce Tennant, with all those hard to find feathers makes a difference, I'm simply saying that there is some real fishing logic to their design.:cool:

I learned this the hard way - by swinging a married winged fly on a sinking tip. My prior casts, with a weighted fly hadn't touched a single rock on the swing. I changed over to a married winged fly I'd tied on a Partridge double and ticked bottom on my first cast and hung up on the second.:mad: My basic point is that flat flies sink amazingly well - and I'd bet Adrian is very familiar with this effect. I think he almost exclusively fishes a dry line - and knows how to get flies down into the zone.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a beauty!!!! What are you using for your gut Matt?

John
Yes!!! The gut, I was proud of this find and also embarrassed to say what it is...
but I think its the best sub I have found, especially when you factor in cost, strength, and access. Plus, get it dirty with your fingers and wax and it looks like vintage stuff.

Spiderwire Glow-vis braid 50lb. 125yds for about 10 or 11 bucks at wally world. I doubled it up and waxed it good, then spun it in my fingers. No fancy forceps, boiling, braiding, etc. On smaller hooks one could use a single strand, but it seemed too small for a rather beefy iron. when you wrap it in, make sure to get a bit of glue on the bit where you wrap it in, to sort of keep it secure, otherwise it seemed to want to get in my way while tying.

best

Matt

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
very nice matt!!!!!! what the hook
The hook is some kind of older Mustad I was gifted. It had a down eye that I straightened then trimmed a touch to get a bit longer profile and the blind eye look. I'm sure you know the hook, they are around.

best

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts