Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lame title (sorry). Creative wit is lost...maybe due to the kids screaming with glee yesterday. I went to my happy place in my head and held an iron while relatives attempted their A.D.D. conversations. :chuckle:

Plenty of cool Doctors on the Pages of recent time. This one's a plain Silver variety tied as a fishing gift for Bill McMillan. As I read Bill's Dryline Steelhead book, I noticed he fished a Silver Doctor hairwing for summers. As a reciprocal gesture to his kindness in giving me some very cool feathers, I thought I'd tie him a Doctor for the winter dryline swing.

Needed a big 6/0 iron at 24 grains dry. The pattern bodes well for a quick sink (limited hackles) but still maintains some semblance of the vintage recipe.

Recipe swiped from the Phantoms site:

Walbran - The British Angler - 1889

Tag: Silver tinsel and golden floss.

Tail: A topping and chatterer.

Butt: A turn of red crewel.

Body: Silver tinsel.

Ribbed: Silver oval.

Hackle: Greenish blue with teal at shoulder.

Wings: Under wings, strips of tippet; over wings, pheasant’s tail, bustard, blue, red, and yellow swan, peacock’s wing, mallard, summer duck, teal, and guinea fowl, with a topping over all.

Horns: Blue macaw.

Head: A turn of red crewel.

Mr. Murdoch writes: - “I have all my Silver and Black Doctors dressed exactly to these patterns. I consider they are more effective when thus dressed than if dressed in the ordinary way; in my own experience they have proved so at any rate.”

I'm running on feather "fumes" so the sides are not to my tastes but they should do.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Administrator
19,796 Posts
WHOA !! :whoa::whoa:
That's a beauty Brother !! Bill should be quite pleased with that offering I'd say .
Nice to see that you took some time for yourself on the busy day to relax and settle .... and we get to enjoy viewing the fruits of your labor !!
Super wing profile ... I like the sparse collar too ... very nice :smokin:
Great post Adrian :):)

Mike

·
Undertaker
1,408 Posts
Wow

Hit it right outta da park again there Adrian. I think your sides are just fine. I note something else about that fly. You tied that golden pheasant tail on more or less as an underwing and married the swan and bustard above it. Or at least it looks that way. Quite often when looking at detailed flies and such wonderful photographs, I think about how it was done. And hey, give your relatives a break, we're all a bit ADD. Sail.

Oh yeah, you should expect a large package of "cool feathers" coming your way soon. After Bill sees what you've done with what he's given you - there'll be more.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Great fly Adrian...I really admire how you can get those wings on in hand....something i've not tried yet, but will have to soon, as i'm fast running out of challenges.

Nice dram too----i opened a bottle of Nadurra cask strength on Thursday..quality stuff!

Eunan

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks fellows.

Eunan, that sounds delicious. Wish I had the coin, but I'm running out of tying materials:D

Rich, the GP is and underwing.

Bill, I'll send you a fly sometime...might take a while though...just remind me;)

Cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.