Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed this 13'6" MKS rod in a 7/8 wt. Used Tiger Maple and Rosewood for the handle and trim, wave cork for the body. Trying a 660 grain Airflow spey/switch on an Islander LX4.5 for the first trip to the river.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sig'

Very well done !!! Beauty. And it's a super Meiz blank. I've never seen wave cork before, how is it made ? You do super good work.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nice work!!

I also have the MKS 13'6" 7/8 and use a AF compact skagit 570gr and AF Rage 540 gr. You may find the 660gr a little heavy.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Strong work Sigbusa, mighty fine looking rod ...

... Good on ya my friend ... };^) ... !!!

Grain window for that rod is 500/800

Scandi heads: 525/575 and 34/36 feet in length

Skagit heads: 550/600 and 24/26 feet in length

... Not sure what an "Airflo Spey/Switch" line is, but if the grain distribution within the taper of this line is typical of a Skagit style shooting head ...

... I'm thinking that 660 grains would be heavy for this rod.

Call me if you wish: 541-770-4766

Meiz

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words everyone, I enjoy building these Spey rods.

Sixheads- wave cork is made by Custom Fly Grips in 1/2 and 1/4 inch discs. My first time using it and I plan to use it again - good stuff.

herkileez - Thanks for the line suggestion, sounds like I may be too heavy.

Bob - Thanks much for the kind words. I will pick up a 570 grain line before heading to the river. (By the way, I caught my biggest steelhead ever on Christmas eve while using the 12'6" 6/7/8 build I finished in December - what a great action. No picture, unable to operate an Iphone with neoprene gloves)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts