Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a stupid question but here goes.......

Do you guys think that installing a white braided loop with a yellow sleeve on the Rio WC sinking tips will spook fish?

Since I am using around a 4ft leader on my tips I am a little concerned about the fish seeing the sleeve.

I told you it was a stupid question :chuckle:

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Why not just put your leader on by albright knotting a semipermanent butt section or looping the sinktips on themselves and whipping/nail knoting the loop to hold it in place? Seems a lot easier and better solution for the end of a sink tip, but that is just my dumb opinion. Good luck whatever you do!

·
I'm not fat I'm big boned
331 Posts
You could take a marker and darken them also. That's what I have done in the past.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm always leary of showing light/bright colors to fish in a line/tip/leader, however combined. Fortunately, white braided loops are easily dyed. I've used Rit Kelly green and pearl gray for them, as well as for lines.

BTW, I doubt if heat-shrink tubing is quite as strong an anchor for braided loops as thread wrapping or mono whips, glue-coated.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
let's see - as an example, you are throwing a 3 inch long pink tube fly at the business end of the leader - if that does not scare the hell out of the steelhead, I don't think a small yellow tip on the fly line will have any impact at all!!!:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Whatever gives you the most confidence....

Iwan,

Visibility and water volume should dictate your choices...you can color, you can dye, you can tie. It all boils down to, what gives you the most confidence. These fish are not shy, having said that, there is one period of the year however where concern is given and that is during very low, very clear water conditions.

Tom

·
Vendor
537 Posts
Yellow Line

With 40' of bright yellow Rio Line behind the braid and a 6" pink fly on the end it's a wonder anything but a Steelhead will have a mac attack!... and knowing the waters of your area visibility really isn't the issue... Tom is correct Clear water needs stealth...check out the colour spectrums underwater at various depths and you will better understand the use of different coloured materials in your flies.
C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts