Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is my first attempt at an Orange Parsons.
It's been a few years since I tied a full dress salmon fly, so things were a little shaky. It is tied on an Umpqua 3/0 gold hook. As you can see I didn't use silk and there are things that I could improve on. The blue spot above the tag was intentional to add a visual target. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've never attempted a full dress salmon fly but yours looks excellent to me!
Only improvements I would do are a nicer bunch of tippets in the tail and use a bright blue floss for the tag. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of rusty and kind of through it together. I didn't take time to prepare the materials as I should have. I see material errors that need correcting, like using silk and better quality feathers. Tinsel wrap needs work also. Thought I'd thrown it out for a critique, I'll use it for fishing.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Great effort here and a solid result.

This is the wrong hook for a full dress though, hard to get proportions right on it. Your tag is a touch long and tail a touch short for the hook, which is what gives it that circular appearance. Cutting the eye off this hook can make it a bit easier, otherwise try to practice full dress on a slightly shorter straight shank. proportions will be easier to handle.

keep it up, it shows you are comfortable at the vice. the next fly willl be twice as nice

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see what you mean about the length of this hook, good idea to shorten it. I was stretching my materials to fit on this one. Need to do a better job of preparation also, in material selection. Thanks for the comments, it helps to see it through others eyes.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
Very nice work,

You mention silk as being something you need, if you have rayon floss just split it into either 2 or 1 strand rather than the standard 4 strand. It will produce good results for colored tags and or bodies. If you go to 2 or 1 strand it may be helpful to use white thread as the under body to build things to the circumference you want before covering with the floss. That will allow for thicker and smooth work and that floss will look just fine. You end up with a really nice neat head on this, if you want them to look just a little better back the head off the eye by about half a millimeter and everything will look different.

All in all your fly looks as good as any I ever made,

Ard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts