Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another FF forum (not dedicated to spey casting) a number of us who are beginning/intermediate spey casters are going to be getting together at the Ben Howard boat launch on the Sky. We're calling this a nano-spey clave. :)

If you're interested in attending simply be at the Ben Howard Boat Launch (On the Sky at Monroe, WA) on Saturday, 19 October, at 11:00 AM. I'll have at least a couple dozen Krispy Kremes and a full thermos of coffee.

If no one shows up, I'm gonna go fishing.

For those who are able to make it, we'll trade hints and advice on how to cast more proficiently. We can ask questions about rods, reels, lines, and techniques. Maybe even meet a new fishing partner or two.

Unfortunately, I did not have the time to arrange for commercial participation, so don't expect one of the local flyshops to be on hand with a dozen rod/reel combos to try out. This is just a bunch of guys getting together for fun, calories, and caffeine.

On the other hand, if get-togethers like this prove popular (especially with the newbies like me), subsequent nano-claves could attract commercial interest.

Anyway, anybody who wants to come and work on (or show-off :hehe: ) spey casting should just show up at the appointed time.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Cool idea! Even without the commercial interest a lot of rods are typically available and there is always a lot learned by everyone in the process, not to mention the new faces.

Wish I could attend, hope you get a good response!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Great Plan Mike!

Even if I won't be there in person (here in Medford, OR) I'll be thinking of you. Any way you could ship me one of those Kripy Kreams?

fae

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I juggled a few things and wa..la, I found the time! My son and I will make it barring the unforeseen. Krispy Kremes, hmmm... and I like donuts.

ws

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey Luv,

Wish I could attend, but I'll be out of town this next weekend.

Definitely post notices of any future gatherings 'cause I'm always up for a bit of java and a Krispy Kreme.

And don't forget to shoot a few pics so the rest of us that weren't able to attend can catch a glimpse of the action.

Happy Casting!

Brian

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't think of the pics, great idea. I'll be sure to do exactly that.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
You sure make things difficult. I was planning on going over to the Methow again this Saturday. But I also want to show up and help some of the newcomers to the real long rod becasue I am indebted to many people over the years who have shared their knowledge and skills of casting, tying, and fishing with me.

The Methow can wait another week, I'll just go fish the upper Sky in the later afternoon. Also, I always enjoy meeting and getting to know other fishers of the long rod.

·
Registered
12 Posts
waterspirte. Glad to see that your going to finelly get out of the house. One question,do you know where it is you are going or would you like some direction on how to get there. I'll be there but not for throwing the long rod. Just so maybe I can pick up some pointers about fishing my single hander. I'll catch you later I got to go fishing now.

Jim

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Great Idea

This sounds great but alas the Airlines call.
Would like to attend but can get the day off from work.
Speybum:(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Beginning to look like a fair turnout for this event. Thanks for taking the lead Michael.

So let's see, fish the Sky early, attend the gathering at 11 AM and munch a few donuts (better bring more than a couple dozen Michael), then fish the Sky with a new intensity and maybe a new friend or two. Sounds real good!

I'll be bringing a Sage 9140-4 w/Windcutter and an Orvis 14' 9wt w/XLT 8/9. The lines are interchangeable with the rods for those who might like to give the setups a go. Hope someone brings a Sage 7141 for me to try...

ws

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I'll have my 13 ft 8/9 GLX with an 8/9 MidSpey and my 16 ft T&T 11 with the 10/11 GrandSpey. Hopefully some of you will get to see how a fast rod feels and what the GrandSpey and MidSpey are like as well the difference between the lighter 8 and 9 weight rods and the heavy 11 weights.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well it now appears that I will not be attending the clave upon hearing that there will be certain persons there with whom I feel a great philosophical division. I hope those who attend have a great time.

ws

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"WS," Uncle Fred speaking here. Bad, very, bad

form.

You know I have greatest respect for you and what/where you come from. But to say you won't "attend" because of divergent views is pretty narrow minded. Who knows, they may have 'arguments' that "prove" your points of reference. Or at least reinforce them.

For the most part, the 1'st Amendment is a pretty good idea; short of shouting "fire" in a theater.' (not an orig. thought; your/my Surprms. were/are pretty darn good Judges. Justice Douglas mind still is a wonderment to me. We were darn lucky .. never mind; forget politics here for the moment)

All of your/our correspondence stongly suggest you (to use a wonderfully expressive term) "are a man of letters." Confront conflicting views, you/they will be better for it all. Just don't loose your sense of perspective in the process.

Some of the best men/women I know have very, very, very differing views on many subjects, but can't wait to see them again. But, in truth, I'll also tell them when I'm not up to discussing "politics," etc.

To a person, they all know I'm not having a 'good day,' and will respect that. That's why they're called (in the stongest sense of the term) "true friends." Each and every greating is a looong hug of warmth and friendship, .... and at times I'd like to ... :>) ]

But that's why they're mentally stimulating people, and also men/women who come to mind at the most unusual times, and I find myself smiling at the thought to their 'face in my mind.' (Dear God, Jeff, Kent, et. al just flashed through my mind as I typed that ) These folks don't fall into the line of "what ever became of good old ... what's his name."

"New friends are Silver, Old friends are Gold."

Be at Peace; and I can't wait to meet you in person. I thing you're "Gold."
fae

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Watersprite

Come on to the clave. There should be plenty of people who share your philosophy you can hang out with. I am shure it will be a diverse group.

Rich

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Ryan and Watersprite

Good for you.
I have noticed more than on party doing that very thing on the same river.
Mentioned to them about targeting smolt and was told that it did not hurt a thing.
It was quiet the shock to me to see flyfishers acting like this.
Gear ,bait and pluggers yes: I bet these guys even drink blended scotch.
More the pity that more fishers did not take a stand against this sort of behavior.
Speybum

DON'T GET CAUGHT SPEYLESS IN SEATTLE:devil:

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Many THANKS to Luv2Spey

for suggesting the get-together and bringing the Krispy Kreams. I enjoyed the good company and the opportunity to cast many different rods and lines. Everyone was willing to let others cast their equipment and try different lines on each rod. Also thanks to Brian and Nooksack Mac for brining many rods and lines. I was able to cast more different rods and lines today than at the Sandy Spey Clave this spring. The highlight of the day was casting Nooksack's greenhart rod. Really makes one appreciate the new technology. I believe there is value in gatherings like this 3 to 4 tomes per year. Again THANKS to all who attended for a very enjoyable time.

Rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well and Truely said, Ol Rich.

My personal thanks to Brian for helping me with my single spey. Another 55,593 casts and I'll probably get it. :)

Boy, was that greenheart tough to cast or what? Really helps one appreciate the early masters of this art.

Having all those line/rod combos was really helpful. For myself, the differences between the lines became much more apparent.

Thanks, again, everybody for coming out. I learned a lot. Let's do this again.

Cheers,

Michael

1 - 20 of 22 Posts