Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's false dawn during the summer solstice and the soft light on the tent wall shows the shadow of the spey rod leaning on the guy line. You can't sleep because it's time to meet your destiny, a 17 pound thick shouldered native summer chromer with attitude and the winner of this epic battle remains to be determined. The fly was tied on last night in anticipation and you slept in wader liners with the breathables folded like a uniform before the big game next to the sleeping pad. Your feet slip easy into the felts soft from the dew. The time has finally come.

You traverse the river bank with excitement charging through your veins and step lightly into the fog-shrouded summer run stream, stripping line from the reel as it pulls away in the invisible current out to it's working length. Lift, sweep, cast. The line disappears into the fog near the far bank. You feel the rhythm today.

The rod is so light that the length marked on the blank seems wrong. The weight balance and flex profile is spot-on, the power application smooth as silk, yet the modulus inside the heart of the blank eases even lighter summer and fall weight lines to the backing.

The IM8 graphite used in the rod was forged in saltwater-bound flyrods and befits the saltwater forging of the anadramous species it subdues. Yet the taper comes from 3 decades of experience and some heavy math, to tame the beast within the powerful materials that power the Atlantis Series rods. The result - a spey action jewel as light as a feather yet even tougher than that big buck in the tailout and smoother than the single malt in your flask.

Lift, sweep, cast. The CND Solstice Series - available immediately after the Denver Trade Show, stop by and try them at the spey pool for yourself.

·
JD
3,610 Posts
Full page add

juro said:
It's false dawn during the summer solstice and the soft light on the tent wall shows the shadow of the spey rod leaning on the guy line. You can't sleep because it's time to meet your destiny, a 17 pound thick shouldered native summer chromer with attitude and the winner of this epic battle remains to be determined. The fly was tied on last night in anticipation and you slept in wader liners with the breathables folded like a uniform before the big game next to the sleeping pad. Your feet slip easy into the felts soft from the dew. The time has finally come.

You traverse the river bank with excitement charging through your veins and step lightly into the fog-shrouded summer run stream, stripping line from the reel as it pulls away in the invisible current out to it's working length. Lift, sweep, cast. The line disappears into the fog near the far bank. You feel the rhythm today.

The rod is so light that the length marked on the blank seems wrong. The weight balance and flex profile is spot-on, the power application smooth as silk, yet the modulus inside the heart of the blank eases even lighter summer and fall weight lines to the backing.

The IM8 graphite used in the rod was forged in saltwater-bound flyrods and befits the saltwater forging of the anadramous species it subdues. Yet the taper comes from 3 decades of experience and some heavy math, to tame the beast within the powerful materials that power the Atlantis Series rods. The result - a spey action jewel as light as a feather yet even tougher than that big buck in the tailout and smoother than the single malt in your flask.

Lift, sweep, cast. The CND Solstice Series - available immediately after the Denver Trade Show, stop by and try them at the spey pool for yourself.
Damn Juro, that's good. I can see it all now. A a full page add, on the inside cover of FFNW accompanied by a picture of a guy, shrouded by the early morning fog, casting a long line,,,to the far bank. ;)

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Juro--

I have heard that after initial tests some rods required some tuning.
Will all the rods you have advertised be available after Denver Show or only some models?

Martin

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobuo is like a fine wine maker, he will sell no rod before it's time. I'll lose some hair while waiting (patience isn't my strong suite) but it grows back again real quick when I cast the end result. Worth the wait, and they start out good and only get better.

After Nobuo's heavy math on the front end (not to mention three decades of experience in two-handed rod design) the rods go to a pro staff who wears waders more often than jeans and enter an intense field testing regimen for every rod within it's design intent, and sometimes a little bit beyond.

While one prototype is being thoroughly field tested any design adjustments are already occurring thus the final product is not completed until after all of these overlapping phases have reached the finish line. In fact the testers feel that the end result is among the finest ever made with respect to lightness, balance, flex profile, reserve power, toughness, and aesthetics all in one package. I think you will agree as many did in GACC, Sandy River, Nor'easter Clave, etc.

This fast-track design and tuning expertise is what led to such a quick turnaround of the original Skagit casting production rod, the rapid response to coastal overhead challenge with the Atlantis Series, and now these "Greased-liners" aka Solstice Series... but it's the field testing and refinement that can not (and will not) be hurried.

In the design department, you couldn't do much more to the Solstice Series to make them better, they are already there. These are the rods I have always been waiting for since I started summer and fall steelheading 20 some-odd years ago.

Just "try 'em" you'll see what I mean. :cool:

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Solstice v. Long Belly

Juro,

I was able to cast the 13'4" Solstice at the Expo (on the water). I really liked throwing it. A quick question....Does the 13' or 14' Solstice handle any of the long bellies out there? Thanks Jay

·
Registered
203 Posts
quick and dirty

answer is YES for the 14'4" model. I cast it with a short belly SA line and it was practically screaming for at LEAST a 65' belly. It will throw the 7/8 or 8/9 Midspey like gangbusters. I'm sure it would also respond aggreably to the Traditional series, and a 6/7 or 7/8 XLT would also cast well depending on whether you like to cast from the tip (upper third) or midsection of you spey.

I'd characterize this rod's action as fast/progressive. Very light in the hand, it can be tip-cast effectively but seems to have progressively more power as you work deeper into the blank as you cast more grains. A ~very~ impressive rod!

my .02,

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts