Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

Did a search but could not find the answer. For anyone who has built this blank up, what did you use for spacing and guide sizes?

Any help greatly appreciated as I get read to go to work on this rod.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
You are most welcome.

Even though Steve works very closely with Bob Meizer (they're like 10 feet apart) he's also a very-very accomplished rod builder.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I built this rod. I used the ARE Ti guide set that Johnny sells. For that $16 you can't go wrong as they're actually not that bad.

Let me know if you want my spacing. That said, I suggest you do your own static load test.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would suggest using 11 guides on this and the 12ft 2/3 rod versus the normal 10 guides due to the taper, it will reduce your line slap. But that is my take. I also tend to use more guides than most people.

I would also suggest light wire guides, except for the #5.

109” #12
95 ½ ” #5
82 ½ ” #4
70” #4
58” #3
46 ½ ” #3
36 ” #2
27 ¼ ” #2
19” #2
11 ½” #2
5” #2

Good luck, Awesome Scandi rod. Steve G also thinks it's an awesome Scandi rod.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I just received the 2015 catalog from the Hook & Hackle Company. On Page 4 is their guide spacing chart, showing spacing for 11' 6", 12' 6", 13' and 14' rods (ten guides each).

With the rods I've built, I use existing charts as a starting point. As long as you use a reasonable number of guides (when in doubt, add one or two), increasing the spacing as you go from tip to butt, and adjusting to work around the joints, they all work properly and look normal. Don't sweat a quarter-inch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts