Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m looking to get a new trout Spey and was interested in the ACR NOVA 2. my home water is the Missouri River at present and I’m debating between the 3 wt and 4 wt. any thoughts?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Nova II

I call ACR a couple days ago asking about trout speys and that was the rod that Gary recommended over his higher priced models. He said that they sell a ton of them.
Mike

·
Registered
708 Posts
I cast this rod for the first time today. it s sweet heart of a rod and would easy cast a RIO skagit trout spy 60 ft. its very responsive and lively. I will post more when I cast the SA scandi light the Gary sent with it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
So the 240 scandi is even sweeter than the skagit. It's super light and crisp, it should cast soft hackles and small to medium streamers easily. I'm very impressed with this rod and I now understand why he has sold a ton of them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm on the Yellowstone and like a rod that throws a 270ish grain skandi and 300 grain skagit. I find the 240 grain a bit light for my casting style. I think you're in a situation where you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The RIO skagit head was 250 gr. The rod felt like it could handle more grains, how much depends on your load tastes but it sounds like your more into the 4wt area. For me the 3 wt matches my ACR 1205 V2 perfectly. With both trout and bass available this pair should see a fair bit of use during the spring and summer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm considering the Nova 2, 5120 as a trout streamer rod. I've been fishing a Hydrogen 4116 for about a year now and I like it but want to toss big streamers on sink tips and it isn't much fun. I know I'm not quite there as a caster but I do believe a little more line weight won't hurt.

The 5 weight seems like a maligned spey rod--a little too much for trouters and not quite enough for steelhead. But I've never been into ultralight fly rods and feel like a heavy streamer rod is better a little heavy than a little light.

Anyone have experience with this rod?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Hey guys, I’m looking to get a new trout Spey and was interested in the ACR NOVA 2. my home water is the Missouri River at present and I’m debating between the 3 wt and 4 wt. any thoughts?
You should be fine either way, but...based on limited experience, but just the fact that only the second rainbow I caught on a spey rod on the Missouri in the fast water below the dam was about 21” and put almost too much bend in a 13’ 5wt - one that I’ve caught steelhead on with less effort - I’d say go for the 4 wt. You will not feel the difference much on the little guys and will appreciate the little bit extra on the MO.

Those are some of the sweetest speys that exist!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the 4wt and its a fantastic rod. I've fished the MO a few times (not with that rod) and would fish the 4wt there with no regrets, it's definitely not too much. I got snapped off with a 6wt single hand the last time I was there. I still daydream about that big golden splash and then SNAP.

If I was on the Mo I know just where I'd be swinging big fat stimulators and woolies with it. Can't wait to get back there.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Stravic, going with a 3 or 4 wt. would be fine if ur throwing light soft hackles but if u want a good all around stick, think about a 5wt. Something in a 350 grain neighborhood is wut I use over here in the Missoula valley and never feel over or under gunned-Nate

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stravic, going with a 3 or 4 wt. would be fine if ur throwing light soft hackles but if u want a good all around stick, think about a 5wt. Something in a 350 grain neighborhood is wut I use over here in the Missoula valley and never feel over or under gunned-Nate
I've had my eye out for a nice, trouty 5wt for our area. Let me know if you come across something.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have the 1205 ELT which I believe has the same blank as the Nova. I use it on the Bow which has similar conditions to the Mo.... Wonderful rods very light in hand and casts both Skagit and Scandi lines beautifully. Handles wind well...Highly recommended

1 - 17 of 17 Posts