Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks again gents.

Bill, I did this one in-hand also. I just can't seem to tie anything without at least one somewhere along the lines of the classics - the appearance of, or character of, at least. The style has permeated so much of my tying these days and it's actually very liberating without the vise. I have an image of Adrian dressing flies stream-side: The ultimate!

Cheers,
Vic.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I wasn't quite sure if this fly was done in hand til you mentioned it. :eek: Wow. You had it in you this whole time, Vic. Like Bill implied, your style has easily transitioned away from the vise without a hint of struggle. This Jock Scott variant is a complex fly to tie in hand....amazed at how well you are doing way early in the game.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Perfect. I love it!

J.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool - I had the Jock Scott in mind. One thing though - the turkey underwing meant to follow along the shank is jutting up through the wing. I must've taken a turn of thread behind the tie-in point causing it to do that...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks again gents.

Bill, I did this one in-hand also. I just can't seem to tie anything without at least one somewhere along the lines of the classics - the appearance of, or character of, at least. The style has permeated so much of my tying these days and it's actually very liberating without the vise. I have an image of Adrian dressing flies stream-side: The ultimate!

Cheers,
Vic.
Vic, you have such an unmistaken-able and much admired style. As Adrian pointed out, you've lost nothing in the transition to in hand tying. In fact, there's a little something extra in those ties lately.

My own style at the vise has carried over into my attempts in hand, as well... Horrid wing sets and botched heads are just as easy either way!!:hihi:

I do understand the liberating feeling though. There's this Zen-like connection to the hook and materials that puts you in a different place then when tying in a vise. Tying streamside with Adrian- that's a good place!

Hopefully, I'll catch up and join you!!

Thanks for another great tie,

-Bill

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Vic......Not easy with hand tie this pattern.....but you did great job on this !!
Spare long hackle ,sleek wings great looking fly Vic !!
Good luck !!

Jin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts