Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This pattern needs no introduction. I did tweek it a bit to suit my Fancy...

Here's the pattern for those interested.

Tag: flat silver tinsel
Tail: Red GP crest
Butt: Chartreuse globrite floss
Body: Rear, RN pheasant neck dyed UV Chartreuse; Front, GP Breast feathers dyed black, in two bunches.
Underwing: Polar Bear or sub.
Hackle: Black rooster saddle
Overwing: four silver badger neck hackles
Sides: Jungle cock

Aaron

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Now thats a GBS I'd proudly fish brother. Love seeing your tying lately Aaron, thanks for sharing. this pattern is awesome

Phonecall incoming today...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Wicked good Aaron!

·
Undertaker
1,326 Posts
white over black

I like your use of a badger hackle tip wing. My Knoll Book of Trout Flies shows the skunk tied with white goose slips over black. Most skunks these days ignore the white over black wing of the original and simply use a white wing. Love those feather bodies.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bit of a Twist

Dave must have got you fired up. Really fine stuff you are showing us and want to thank you for your time and efforts. This and the others recently posted are a delight to admire and stimulate some ideas. Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,162 Posts
WOW Aaron !!
Very sleek profile :smokin:
Those UV dyed feathers really POP !!
I'm in love :whoa:

Mike

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Such a great patern Aaron. I'd really like to see one of these up close or see how you tie the black section in. I'm trying to wrap my head around it and have an idea. Might have to sit down at the vise and just give it a go, see what I come up with.

Cheers.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Love the feather body and wing. As has already been mentioned, tyers for the last 40 years have seemingly forgotten the original SKUNK had both black and white skunk tail hair for the wing.

I assume you fish this version of the fly. I know I'd fish it as a follow-up because I view feather body flies like this as a type of fly Kelson referred to as an "Exaggeration", which he talked about using as a follow-up in his famous work THE SALMON FLY.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts