Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Mark, I'm 24 and I've been steelhead fishing for longer than I can remember. My dad started me off bottom bouncing roe and flies when i was 7 or so but being young I was more interested in the camp fire or eating cookies in the front of the boat. When I was 18 I bought a lamiglas 9' 8wt and I've been taking that with me the two or maybe three days a year I get to go. Being a full time physics major with a full time job who lives 4 hours away from the nearest steelhead river, who gets zero financial aide or scholarships, kinda makes it somewhat tough to go fishing a whole lot.

Ironically enough I have never caught a steelhead, I've tried and tried and tried to catch one off the bottom with absolutely no luck. I've only ever hooked two that I can remember. The few times a year I do get the opportunity to go steelhead fishing, my dad is a die hard bottom bouncer and flips me crap about wanting/trying to catch a steelhead with a "fairy stick." A 16' drift boat is close quarters for a fly rod and a gear rod to work out of the same space so I have to follow suit and alternate between gear fishing and rowing the boat.

I got really into fly fishing when I was about 12 when I got a cabelas 6wt for christmas and my friend and I scoured the Big Wood river in Hailey, Idaho that following summer. I somewhat stopped fishing in general until last summer when I got back into it and I started fishing and partying with a co worker and he had a 11'6" switch rod. At the particular spot we were fishing one night after work the fish were just out of reach with my single handed rod but he was able to both reach and catch fish while I pretty much gave up and started spotting fish for him. That is when I decided I wanted a switch rod.

I bought a switch rod three weeks ago with the hopes of getting to take it with me on my only steelhead trip this year but it showed up too late to take it with me thanks to the post office. Anymore I spend more time rowing the boat than actually fishing because my dad has a bad shoulder. So I probably won't be able to catch one any time soon.

Growing up with steelhead fishing (or at least trying to catch a steelhead) has left me feeling like the river is a part of me, and it is definitely a part of who I am. And I can guarantee that after I get my degree I plan to do as much steelhead fishing as possible. But until then I have to accept my few days a year rowing a boat down the salmon river with my dad in front of the boat saying things like "real men catch fish off the bottom" or "you brought that fairy stick with you?" and my favorite "why don't you just use an eggbeater with a bobber?" referring to my indicator. But he's my fishing buddy and if I can't go, he doesn't go.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and I'm hoping that this site can make me a better fisherman and help me get into switch and spey fishing. I hope I am able to learn a lot from all of you.

Sincerely,

Mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome

Welcome Marcus.

Since being a physics student, I'm sure you are no stranger to studying. And with that comes reading.

Lots of stuff to study here my friend, and with that comes a multitude of " professors ". Each will have their own way of achieving what we all strive for.

So buckle down and start a readin', you can already do the math.

And one other thing. Savour the times with your Dad, and be glad he spends his time with you. And when you've had enough of his spouting off, just tell him " Shut up & fish.

Cheers
Gregg

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Welcome. Remember, the journey into and through spey fishing is most of the joy. Your first steelhead on the swung fly is but a waypoint along the way.

Find a good instructor to get you started and enjoy the ride!

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Welcome to the club. Finishing school is the important thing so stick to it and we will keep some of the steelies for you in the future.

KC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts