Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good read. Thanks for the post. I fish year round with a 15’. The article makes me think it’s a short rod. And I agree.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I fished my Clan 17' 9/10 about 85% of the time on a 10 day BC trip last year. No fatigue at all. Key is a heavy reel and a relaxed stroke. My shoulders cringed every time I picked up a much stiffer 16' rod...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Out of curiosity, what rods that are readily available today would best match Mr Jamieson's preferred action? What about a B&W 17' 10wt Norway?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Bruce and Walker does have a new 16’6 8/9 in production.
I've only test cast the 16'6" 9/10 Walker and in comparison to my 17' Clan 9/10 the Clan is significantly more regressive and slower recovery.

If you're used to modern faster rods the Walker would be more suitable.

If you're used to bamboo the Clan would be more suitable...

Easy solution is get both! I believe Harry still has some blanks lying around. I know he's still repairing but not sure if he will build a new rod anymore.

·
Hacker
571 Posts
What a great story! I felt pretty good about using 14 and 15' rods; I guess this story puts me in my place! I have heard great things about the long Walkers, but have never tried one. He does hit it on the head for shorter rods and lines. My mentor tried to get me to start out with lines around 55' (delta), but I wanted to use scandi instead. Wish I had done it the other way and started longer, then used short only when needed.

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. Very nice read! What Mr. Jamieson possibly misses is the modern approach to the salmon, and fishing the fly. Long rods are fantastic for controlling the line and fly, we all know that. Here in Scandinavia, this is not an issue. Most experienced salmon fishermen here agrees to the idea "you cannot fish the fly too fast". The only line control called for is the DOWNstream mend. Which is a bit complicated anyway with a mono running line on your 35 yard cast, or?? On the LARGE river I fish up north, the locals have gone from 17 footers down to 15, or at the most, 16 foot. The distance offered by 17 foot rods do not compensate the cumbersome handling, long casts and long days. The use of 17 foot rods and a continuous taper line is a distance away from this.. Yours borano20

·
Outerhebrides
193 Posts
long rods

Great post. I have been laboring away with my 13'6" rods, skagits, and sink tips for a few years, and have become skilled enough to be somewhat effective, but I have always wondered about the longer rods. My reservation about the longer rods is whether there is enough casting room behind us on our western rivers in the States. I have been to Scotland and there is often a lot of room on those rivers. Here, not so much. Do the longer rods necessarily require more room to accomodate the larger d-loops?

I mildly disagree with the author concerning whether it is possible to land casts delicately with a 13 or 14 foot rod, skagit head, sink tip, etc. It can be done, but it is not easy. I guess I wonder if it is easy with a 17 foot rod and a progressive, long, light line.

I did have an interesting experience in Tierra del Fuego last year. One of the young guides put together a line that was a combination of a heavy airflo MOW tip, a piece of T-14, and a piece of T-10. Hardly science at work, but it cast very well and I noticed how little fuss it made landing. Of course it also sank like a rock, but that was sort of the goal on the Rio Grande - cut the wind and get the fly down to the sea runs...... It made me wonder about the longer lines and how they would cast.

So many theories. So many rods. So many lines. So much money. So little time!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Very interesting read ,I started fishing long lines grand spey, double taper lines ,later the CND double taper ,and enjoy all long bellies lines
later I move on to the shorter rods 12/6 13,14 but alway find myself drifting back to the long rods and longer lines .I Find this article to contain a lot of valid points and observations. MrJamieson makes a very compelling case and has my full attention . I wonder if some one verse on the subject of line Desing will care to chime inn to which line on the market now, or in the past 20 Yrs has the qualities as such line he describes .
I don't like to put limits to the way I cast and I don't think for a second that what we have today as far as lines go is absolutely the best it can be .
like many things now everything is business oriented the market dictates what becomes standard. On a lot industries .two hand rods is not the exception . In my opinion; I know this subject has been debated plenty of times . I had debated this myself for years with friends & fishing partners . having spending my fishing casting years almost 50 50 of my time with both methods I find this article has formulated a lot question and possibilities I had not thought myself . thank you for sharing this .

·
Administrator
17,805 Posts
Head's Up

There are a few long rod beauties up for sale now in the Classifieds here:

https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92-spey-classifieds/401570-longish-rods-sale-1st-st-croix-15-a.html

https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92-spey-classifieds/401572-2nd-longish-rod-scott-mckensie-15-a.html

https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92-spey-classifieds/401574-3rd-longish-rod-16-alltmor.html

I have fished these models before and can solidly say, these are all outstanding long rods :smokin::smokin:
Each can tame a DT10 into the long reaches. The Alltmor would be my favorite of the three though ... and yes, the last Nobuo design at Daiwa.
The medium, full through flexing action is common among the three ... very relaxing and effortless :)

Mike

·
One more cast...
100 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Regarding the right reel weight to balance these longer rods, I know it is a rod specific issue but what is the minimum weight range to start with?

Thanks,
ddb

1 - 20 of 28 Posts