Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am now the owner of a TnT 13' 9wt 4pc matched to a Guideline Bill Drury impact 9 wt line, 62' head version. I had two good practice sessons this weekend. With 1ft of the head in the tip i am able to spey and shoot i would estimate 25' of running line out of the tip with out crossing or tailing.
I am practicing on a pond, no running water which i feel makes it slightly harder to single spey because there is no tention on the dangle. For some reason it seems easier to snake roll?

I would like to know if this set-up is a good starting point? it feels like it is.

I would like to add that i have had lessons from an instructor with the DHer and am quite comptent at all single hand speys.

Also, why isnt there a 'Speycasting' section on the site or have i missed it?

Thanks for you help,

Lee.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
What are you trying to do would be the first question. If you are indeed shooting 25' of line you are doing outstanding for just starting out. Keep doing whatever it us you are doing cause it is working. :)

If I am practicing on a pond I will use a snake roll to set up my single. For right hand up and the line out in front of you just do a snake 90 degrees (or whatever angle you want to practice) to your left. That puts you in a good spot to do a right hand up single spey back out in front of you. Lack of line tension is a pain on still water but manageable. Puts an empahsis on really getting the line laid out straight on your setup casts.

As far as a spey casting section this is the speypages :). Everything is about speycasting. The 'Spey Casting Forums' are the ones we use to discuss anything related to the art of casting.

-sean

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Lee.
In order for you to use the speycasting video section you have to be a subscriber to the site.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Lee...

Lee.
In order for you to use the speycasting video section you have to be a subscriber to the site.

Subscribe the $40.00 for the site, and you will soon see it may be the best $40 you will ever spend on Spey-related items.

All sorts of extras for subscribers - access to parts of the site, DVD, and, period draws for various bits of useful kit, from rods on down.

Best wishes for your Spey / DH progress.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both. I didn't know there was anything to subscribe to:hihi: I am just about to do it though so thanks for letting me know.

Thanks for the encouragement, everything feels right. I think at the moment im casting for casting sake, just trying to get pointy loops and proper form (i think im overpowering). I will probably end up actually fishing shooting heads as there is very little room for a big D.

ta, Lee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts