Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have problems with the cleats ripping out? I wore my G4 boa boots on the deschutes 6 days and 5 studs popped off?? Wish iD stayed with my korkers. I was slipping all over also not fun wading

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Gorilla Glue!

Personal opinion here but any DYI cleat inserts need a drop of GG to hold them in place. GG is water activated so wet the bottom the boot, drop of GG and in goes the screw.

GG expands (!) as it dries into the surrounding material (short of steel, I think, even though that's listed as an application on the package). Not a problem to pull out the screw when you need to replace the 'cleats.'

fae

·
Registered
155 Posts
I lost one on my G4's after 2 hard weeks of wading and hiking. I didn't put anything on the threads when I installed them but next time I will. Other than that I have been thoroughly impressed with the grip.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I love how sticky they are (the best), but I lose them now and again from my felt bottoms. I think the included screws should be longer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx

Thx guys ill try it out. I was wading some heavy stuff but nvr had this happen. I may try the hard bite thus time around these seem too soft

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
I bought and installed some Pro Gold Ice studs, and haven't lost any. I bought a box of 250 for $17.99 (excluding shipping). I've had them out several times, and they seem to bite the rocks just fine for me.

I didn't use any GG, but might give it a try (thanks Fred)

I've got some SIMMS boots, and used the 1/2" screws. I can't feel the screw points at all.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/atv/atvstuds/12250-1.html

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. Pulled out THREE in one go! Then lost a fourth on the other boot. Took a chance,reinstalled new ones in the old holes,and added PU glue. Sure,good for one day.. Made new holes,1/4" inside of the old. Lost the two ones under the ball,on each foot, very soon! PUUURE CRAP!! You may note that it seems like Simms have two versions of the G3 Guide boot,as the front of mine doesn´t match the homepage photo.. Yours borano20

1 - 9 of 9 Posts