Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here's one for our U.K. members,is the Altmor Range by Daiwa THAT MUCH better than their other offerrings?,even though smartly attired i wonder if the modulus is that much higher,or are the rods that much lighter,,,i'm about to purchase `one' hehehe,just to sake my thirst for information and of course because i was not able to attend the Sandy bash and i need a fix :hihi: ,anybody own one in the sixteen ft. length that can enlighten me with some comparisons?,this is a `purple' colored blank version :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Alltmor rods

Hi Hammer,
Send a e:mail to Harry at Clan Rods, the stream by Harry's house is called the Alltmor Burn, and this is why daiwa gave these rods in that range the name, so having given the name to daiwa for there rods, i think he will know all about them.
Gordon (speyghillie)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Gordon!

over 100 views and you are the only one to answer me,that's interesting!,the `altmor burn',of course he;the owner of clan rods could probably care less about Daiwa's since they are a competitor, in some categories,the `work' being done with the greenheart and the silk should be applauded by all those who frequent this site and given credit for maintaining a conection with the `roots' of the sport we love,in a way,because the daiwa's are so rare on this side of the pond i guess is the reason i was attracted to them initially,back when i rode motorbikes for laughs everyone else rode hondas, yamahas,etc.etc.,i rode european,english bikes just to be different; i guess,,hahaha,of course when i stumbled upon a man who had some demo rods of the `sultan of swing' i simply had to have them! :D it seems the same as it was when i rode motorbikes though,always needing new additions to keep the fire glowing inside,now if Sven could get those 22's rolled, ;) ,i would be happy,for a bit anyway :)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Alltmor AMF 16

Hammer, that's the same rod I've been using as my primary big gun on the Skagit and Sauk for the last three years, and have probably mentioned too often. For a more detailed and informed review, just toggle to the Spey Pages, then Dana's review of his AMF 15-footer (which is what inspired me to look for one of my own). Same rod, just a foot longer. Don't think of it as a "Daiwa." Think of it as Scottish nobility, and one of Nobuo's better designs.
It's not too stiff in the tip, and it will crash a too-fast forward cast. But it willingly carries whatever tips I've used, up to 15' #10 Hi-D IV and the usual wide-body winter steelhead flies. I've usually fished it with a spliced extended belly 10/12 winter line or a 120' 444 DT11, occasionally with a floating 10/11 Airflo Traditional; all excellent fits.
It weighs around 12 ounces, and does make itself felt after a few hours. Would that I were half my age (63 tomorrow) so that I could swing it through another 30 or 40 winter/spring seasons! I recently bought a CND Salar, which is noticeably less tiring. But I'm still going to harness up the big warhorse from time to time. Enjoy yours, Hammer. With your preference for seige cannon-size rods, you may consider it to be a "medium."

·
Registered
68 Posts
A couple of friends have alltmor's, and generally they swear that the first model that was released was by far the best.
When David had a barbeque the other week we got a few of his out to compare - comparing 10ft singlehanders primarily because he had one of the oiginal 'alltmors' and an 'alltmor S'. Strangely the blank of the original was much smaller in diameter than the much more recent S, even though both were 10ft #7 rated rods. The original is quite a fast action but with a lot of 'feel' in its action, wheras the newer one feels much harsher and is certainly far stiffer in the butt section.. Whenever we go seatrouting he always takes the old one, which I think speaks for itself.
David also has a 15ft original, and compared to Colin's 15ft S the same is true (about feel - not sure about blank diameter as we haven't compared them side by side but did cast them back to back) - but the newer spey rod is much much faster in action than the old one. Old one won hands down.
Nooksack which model is yours??

/* Edited cos I think I got it completely wrong. Sorry. */

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hammer, don't go for the Alltmor S

I've mentioned this in other posts, but please do not waste any money on the Alltmor S. I and many other anglers I know have snapped them through normal use. I don't know whether they made the walls of the blank to thin, or just got their tapers wrong, but I felt this rod let Daiwa down badly.

In fact, my rod is starting to make the same clicking noise that appeared just before it snapped the last time.

They are on the stiff side, but do put out a good line when you get the timing right. However, I do not trust mine one bit and actually find myself holding back on my casts to go easy on the rod.

Having said that, I have heard no complaints about the predecessors to the Alltmor S ie. Alltmor AMF rods.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought that Harry Jamieson had a hand in the design of the original Altmor or have I got my wires crossed? Could I have come across this rod in 1994 or 1995 at a well-known Devonian's establishment?

Regards

Steven

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
click

myCF98 18 does make a `click' when i wag it before cinching the ferrules absolutely tight,i thought it a strange sound to be hearing of course but i assumed it was merely the fit of the spigots,i sincerely wish i could have gone to the sandy and brought this rod,it's easy to fish with,i have classes on mondays for becoming a motorized `ghillie' and i'm nearly done with that so,could not afford to risk failing the big test,now,,on to the rods lads!!!i have a pair of the kevlar amorphous rods in 16ft. length,the more i cast them the slower they feel,,hahaha,but they will cast just every line i've hung on them without a wimper,and they look like no other rod i've seen with their tartan kevlar wrap,angler's around here,well,their eyes `pop' when they see them up close,hahaha,and they stutter=it'sadaiawaia!?hahaha,,,so i have fun with them that's whats important, :D ,,so to I D the(edit= Altmor) range would lined stripping guides versus hard chrome tell me what era the rod was produced?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alltmor Rods and Clan

Hi Steven,
Some 11 years ago Daiwa Sports ask if I would complete a range of trout rods for the Japanese market, around 2000 rods, They were planning to call them Silver Creek, Its not very Scottish said I, Why not Alltmor,(big stream)the name of the Burn/stream beside my works and the name stuck, ever since I have a steady stream of trout enthusiastic anglers from Japan, I have to sign jackets and caps like a super star.

Re The salmon range, I did get 10 16ft 3pc from Nobuo and they were the dogs ballocks (great) if you don't speak English, The new ones I don't know them.

Tight lines,
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dogs ballocks!

i simply must have it then!,only 150 pounds to my door and then i'll have a new toy to keep me company while i wait for seatrout to show up and look for a fight :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
`Daiwaese'

Peter S-C and i have nearly started a secret fraternity of Daiwa collectors,i'm working on a secret handshake,of course it takes two hands to do it :chuckle: thanks !

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dogs ballocks!

:hihi: recieved the rod late last week,and due to other fishing commitments i've only grass cast it so far,i like it!,a lot!,i looked at the guides and didn't think much of them=small,not like the huge lined guides i'm used to but it shoots line fine,and that wild ultra violet color of the blank :Eyecrazy:still not as fast as some newer sticks i've had but hey!,i like long rods and this rod fills the bill for a new toy for me, should be fun!,throws a wullf tt 11 to other time zones :hihi: now i need a purple anodized reel,and some die for my white wullf line,purple of course,them i'm going to need some purple waders,hmmm maybe a big stew pot and i could do all my gear at once:lildevl:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Hammer,

I don't find the Alltmor's slightly smaller guides to be a detriment to line passage. I've built a few single-handed rods with smaller guides, and a spey rod with smaller stripping guides, that shoot line nicely.

You make the Alltmor's color sound like something that The Artist Formerly Known as Prince would favor. It's actually a very dark purple, like a dark Bing cherry; elegant rather than garish. And I'm a conservative sort whose favorite color is green.

Let's hear how you find it with other lines. Mine does well with lines from 900 grains (Airflo Trad. 10/11) to around 1100 grains (GS 10/11).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.