Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those Spey Pages folks selling or buying stuff through the Classified postings, and who hate PayPal (I know you're out there) because of the fees they charge, check out Amazon WebPay with Amazon Payments. For non-commercial private sellers and buyers, it is FREE (no usage fees).

Sellers, if you have an Amazon account, once you have registered with Amazon Payments (a simple 5 minute process) you can use your Amazon Payments personal account to receive payments from other Amazon Payments personal account holders, and then transfer those amounts to your bank account, just like PayPal, but free of usage fees. This is under their “friends” and family money transfer feature.

Buyers, if you have an Amazon account with a registered credit card, you can use that to pay a gear seller who has an Amazon Payments personal account, if you also have such an account. Again, it is quick and simple to set up an Amazon Payments personal account through your regular Amazon account and there are no fees to do this.

Amazon Payments keeps track of these transactions for you, just like PayPal, and gives you a monthly statement. Also, through a recent transaction, I discovered it is very easy to refund someone (in this case because they accidentally paid twice for the same item). There is no charge to do this, either. And, Amazon Payments is very quick to move funds as requested into your bank account (faster than PayPal) once you have registered it with your account.

With Amazon Payments, at least through your personal account, while you may not be as protected against fraud as perhaps using PayPal (??), using it to sell or buy from trusted Spey Pages members is probably as safe or more than any other online purchase. And you always have the option, if there is outright fraud, of reporting it to your credit card company for stop payment, reimbursement and their legal action, and Amazon, who has the option of canceling the perpetrator's account.

I only discovered this payment method recently, through another forum. I've used it and I highly recommend Amazon WebPay (Amazon Payments) as a way to transact personal business between private, non-commercial Spey Pages members through the forum Classifieds. Anything to give PayPal some competition.

But don’t take my word for it, check it out for yourself. Do your own due diligence to see if it would work for you.

(As full disclaimer, I have no relationship with Amazon other than as a frequent and happy consumer of its services.)

fliegenfischer

·
Registered
292 Posts
For those Spey Pages folks selling or buying stuff through the Classified postings, and who hate PayPal (I know you're out there) because of the fees they charge, check out Amazon WebPay with Amazon Payments. For non-commercial private sellers and buyers, it is FREE (no usage fees).

Sellers, if you have an Amazon account, once you have registered with Amazon Payments (a simple 5 minute process) you can use your Amazon Payments personal account to receive payments from other Amazon Payments personal account holders, and then transfer those amounts to your bank account, just like PayPal, but free of usage fees. This is under their “friends” and family money transfer feature.

fliegenfischer
I suspect your motivation is well intended , but a couple of things stand out to me. The friends and family feature of Amazon is identical to the gift option on Paypal and it's against the Speypages policy. I also agree that the fees are not always appreciated but the protection is worth it. If in fact Amazon could provide the same protection that Paypal does it might be a good option but my limited research after reading your post tells me otherwise. But then I don't have a bone to pick with Paypal.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I suspect your motivation is well intended , but a couple of things stand out to me. The friends and family feature of Amazon is identical to the gift option on Paypal and it's against the Speypages policy[/COLOR]. I also agree that the fees are not always appreciated but the protection is worth it. If in fact Amazon could provide the same protection that Paypal does it might be a good option but my limited research after reading your post tells me otherwise. But then I don't have a bone to pick with Paypal.

Not a pointed question, but 'it is???' Not sure why as all the Forum is doing is providing an introduction function between the parties.

Fred

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Jake, If you read the link you posted Dana is saying if you use Paypal to pay for items bought on spaypages do not use the "gift" option to not pay paypal there fees as speypages will not support it.
Amazon is another way to pay and if both parties are signed up there are no fees that is all the original poster is saying. Does it offer any protection like paypal says it does i do not know.
Not every one uses paypal even one of the sponsors of speypages will not take paypal. I still use paypal but not if i can help it as 3 years ago i had a problem with paypal and will look at paying or taking money any other way i can.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Jake, If you read the link you posted Dana is saying if you use Paypal to pay for items bought on spaypages do not use the "gift" option to not pay paypal there fees as speypages will not support it.
Amazon is another way to pay and if both parties are signed up there are no fees that is all the original poster is saying. Does it offer any protection like paypal says it does i do not know.
Not every one uses paypal even one of the sponsors of speypages will not take paypal. I still use paypal but not if i can help it as 3 years ago i had a problem with paypal and will look at paying or taking money any other way i can.
I'm well aware of what the link says , but the reference is accurate. The friends and family of Amazon is a way to bypass the uusual channels of payment much like the gift feature of Paypal. The fact that retail outlet don't use Paypal is another subject altogether and has no place in this discussion. I'm curious why you think you have to interpret this to me. I clearly finish my post saying I don't have a bone with Paypal and find the protection they offer well worth the measly 3% versus the potential without it.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I'm well aware of what the link says , but the reference is accurate. The friends and family of Amazon is a way to bypass the uusual channels of payment much like the gift feature of Paypal. The fact that retail outlet don't use Paypal is another subject altogether and has no place in this discussion. I'm curious why you think you have to interpret this to me. I clearly finish my post saying I don't have a bone with Paypal and find the protection they offer well worth the measly 3% versus the potential without it.
Jake, You said in your first post "
I suspect your motivation is well intended , but a couple of things stand out to me. The friends and family feature of Amazon is identical to the gift option on Paypal and it's against the Speypages policy."
Again if you read the link you posted Dana is saying if you use paypal use it properly and pay the fees. People were running adds with items for sale here on speypages and stating in the ad they would take paypal and that you could use the gift feature to stop paying the fees.
Again Dana was talking about misuse of paypal and that is what is against speypages rules.
Amazon does not charge fees and is just an other option to exchange money if both parties are members and using it is not against speypages rules unless Dana says so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts