Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there are alternatives to the traditional single spey?

I struggle with it in the same way that I struggled with the conventional double spey, until I discivered the Snake Roll, which gets me out of problems in a downstream wind and which I find relatively effortless.

If I can find an alternative to the single in the same way that I found an alternative to the double I would be winning, as it is I am buggered in an upstream wind! :eek:

All suggestions gratefully received.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Close. Both casts start the same (drawing a large letter "C" in the air. The main difference is you cut the 'C' off with a downward 'slash' in the snap T. With the circle you complete the lower part of the letter. How far you swing around is a function of the length of the line out of the rod tip.

With both casts you then come back around (as in a single spey), form the D loop and finish the cast.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Single spey:

The best course of action is to stick with it, the single spey is a most important cast. Struggling can also be considered to be "learning" just take the time to diagnose what you're doing.

Take some video of yourself, it's about the most potent technique for casting improvement and it's cheap. Better yet get a little professional instruction, you'll be amazed at what some people can spot if they know what to look for and can stand off and watch you.

If you are willing to send a video to me, I will gladly provide some comments. It's good analysis for me as well. I am sure anyone else who has already passed the FFF cert or is thinking about taking it would also offer some analysis as well. That's one of the benefits of this spey community, lots of eyes and opinions.

On a related note, but not in place of a single spey there is another snake roll alternative recently discussed. It is not an alternative but just another interesting cast to play with. I only mention it because you say you have the snake roll down.

This is a snake on the upriver side, just make sure the line is gradually accelerated from dangle upriver, and don't start the snake until the line passes by in front of you.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=17512

Don't however use this to take the place of a single spey in your repertoire, and yes the snap-t and circle differ only in the tightness of the motion that puts the fly-end upriver. One reverses sharply near the initial pull vector, the other pulls around and under like an oval-shaped pulley. The circle is better for sunk lines, the snap looks schnazzy but both serve the same purpose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snap T/C etc

Thanks for all of the advice.

I have to say that I am a little stuck in trying to visualise the difference between the T and C, any videos anywhere?

Thanks for your input Juro, I am currently downloading your video of the upriver Snake, sounds like it could be fun.

I do consider my struggle with the Single Spey as a learning curve but it just isn' t coming naturally, I guess I get about 1 out of 3 casts, and I have had several lessons. I got the Snake first time, to my amazement - and my instructors :Eyecrazy:

Sometimes I feel like the single is getting there, then it goes to pieces.

I don't want to give up on it but I do want another form of single to play with.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just go away and practice your single Spey off both shoulders, then the double spey again off both shoulders. Snap (X) insert letter of choice, snake rolls etc are just varations of the traditional speycast.
Get the basics right................etc

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
I was told this by one of the biggest proponents/promoters of the Snap T/Circle C:

When using a dry line, use the Snap-T. When using a sink-tip using the Circle C/Circle Spey.

I tend to follow that similiar idea ecept I use the Snap-T much more often and resort to the Circle C only when using super heavy and/or very long sink-tips and/or heavily weighted flies. I find the larger, less agressive motion allows me to not only move a very deeply sunk tip and aerilize so that I may set me anchor but that less aggresive motion also creates a smoother cast.

Now when using dry lines or more standard run of the mill sink-tips, I have no issues with the Snap-T and prefer it to the Circle C because it a cast that requires less movement (easier to perform in tight circumstances), takes a split second less time to perform and I have more control over the placement of my anchor.

My $.02
Ryan 'If The Snap-T was the Only Cast I ever had to use I would be a Great Spey Caster' Petzold

·
Registered
113 Posts
Upriver Snake

Juro,

I don't think that you should be telling somebody who struggles with the single spey to try the up river snake. It looks too dangerous a cast to be trying without careful instruction. Even in the video footage the anchor and line look to come a bit close to the caster, but in any downstream wind, it would surely be worse.

I always think that a single spey should be mastered as it is the most efficient of all the casts, when mastered properly. I am no expert, but often see people trying to perform Snap-C/T casts and they look terribly inefficient when too much line grips the water on the forward stroke.

The single spey should be mastered and all other cast used as back-ups in varying situations. I have even found that mastering the single spey gives a good understanding of loading, timing, and tracking to help with my overhead casting on a single handed rod.

In low water with spooky fish, the single spey can be executed to just kiss the surface and not thrash the water like so many of the alternative/exotic casts.

Tight Lines,

Gary.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Single Spey

I will have to vote with Gary W and Willie Gun as to what they say. If you learn the single with both hand positions the other casts are easy.
Leroy...............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.