Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Meiser 14' 6/7 MKS owners :)
Looking to line my MKS with a longer belly line in the 50' to 70' range and having some troubles deciding what to go with.
Currently I use shooting heads with this stick and it is a joy to cast and fish, but looking to expand the experience.
Looking for a full floater, with a slight possibility of using a sinking poly on it for versatility. I do like the idea of using a "head" style line and use my own running line with it. This way I have one versatile reel that accommodates both my shooting heads and the mid-belly line. However, it's not written in stone that I must have the "head" type, especially if it's a must have line with this stick.

Any suggestions out there ??

Mike

·
Registered
945 Posts
GR8,

As it happens that particular rod was on my short list for demoing at the Sandy Clave a couple of weeks ago. I tried just one line, a Ballistic Vector 8/9 (FWIW my 8/9 weighs 558 gr and is 53' long so pretty much within the range of variability for most lines), and that was all I needed. All I can say is outstanding. It would bark the reel at 100'+. Super clean, crisp feel and tight loops; typical vector performance and perfect match for that rod. Just for reference, I tend to like my lines on the light side.

I liked this combo so well that I am trying to find an excuse to buy one as my winter steelhead rod. I cut my vector at 15.5' (0.060") and loop 14' of Z7 for winter use and it works great. Perfect setup for me. I'll bet a FF/WA 70 6/7 would also kill it on that rod if you were looking for a head. Hope that helps. PM me if you want more specifics.

CT

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you get a chance try a Winter Authority or Fall Favorite on it Mike. I started throwing one last winter and I an really enjoying the line. Preston will say otherwise, but I think it is a good line and versatile.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Dont own that stick(yet) but have cast it. A GPS would be my first choice and rocks on that stick, so would a Fall Fav, a Balistic xl would be good as well

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Mike, I don't have the rod but we can "talk" lines. If you are interested in demo-casting some likely candidates I have few I can loan if they will help you decide which way to go. Some are discontinued and some are re-incarnated in other forms. All are sitting here with nothing to do for now and you are welcome to try them...

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Yup...as Rifflehitch mentioned, and if you can find one, a GPS would be my first choice. 6/7 or 7/8. That said they're a full line and not head configuration.

Depends on how you like the feel of your casts and line. GPS = eloquent, luxury, refined. WA = bulldozer, MAC truck due to that thick back taper. Both get the fly out there depends on how you like the ride...

I'm assuming you want tips work (for our home river) so I'm assuming you're not considering a true dryline such as a Jetstream, Gaelforce, etc.

If you get a chance try a Winter Authority or Fall Favorite on it Mike. I started throwing one last winter and I an really enjoying the line. Preston will say otherwise, but I think it is a good line and versatile.

Reactions: Botsari

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming you want tips work (for our home river) so I'm assuming you're not considering a true dryline such as a Jetstream, Gaelforce, etc.
No, no tips, maybe a light poly. It's not for my home river at all, no room for a mid-belly there. It's for my fall salar hunt.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I have a good idea now for what I'm looking for :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Got it. It just dawned on me for a 6/7 rod you cannot consider some brands...

If line colo(u)r is an issue then that's a consideration as well...

No, no tips, maybe a light poly. It's not for my home river at all, no room for a mid-belly there. It's for my fall salar hunt.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I have a good idea now for what I'm looking for :)

Mike

·
Registered
889 Posts
I dunno, it seems almost every day I am out on the water the air is always in a rush to get somewhere else. And it doesn't matter which side of the river I am on it will always push at some sort of screwball angle into my bank making for added challenge just to get a clean cast off. Switch sides and it too makes the proper adjustments to keep it fun.

Being able to bulldoze through is a nice attribute at times like this. Which is 'always' if I am on the water. Unless I am fishing some (generally) wide open inland summer steelhead river with a floater and medium to small flee, will take a 45' 'skandit' bulldozer every time on a 14' rod. Being able to clear the rod entirely of back taper/flyline is A+++, adjusting the overhang to the situation/skill set and enjoy. Won't slit my wrists from stripping running line up to about 35 yards (talking casting distance from reel to tip of fly line) with this head length for my nextcast. Close, right at my razors edge but so far its stayed sheathed. *Most* of the time I find the fishing distances normally run up to the 70'-80'-90' range with this set-up. And its ideal for me. If I consistently need more than 35 yards it is time to get a bigger hammer with a heavier (and most often longer) string.

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
William, I understand your dilemma entirely :hihi:
Most of my fishing lately has been late fall here at home and abroad. Fall time is notorious wherever I fish to have that up-stream/down-stream/cross-stream/around-stream wind (just ask Jimmy). So I appreciate that bulk/mass rear taper on some lines. Exactly the case for my affection of the multi-tip Skandit lines for all my rods in both full intermediate and floating belly versions. Fishing distances are roughly the same and more so if I am out of province. The long/light rod is a great tool for the crystal clear/low waters I sometimes encounter while hunting salar in most cases. Like you, if the distance or the wind factor increases, I too reach for a "bigger hammer".

More grains and longer sticks make life easy. It's these "tweener rods" that make life ... interesting :)

Mike

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is an update:

I had the chance yesterday for a few hours to try some new lines on this rod :D

- WA55 6/7 >>> easy loading (which I like). Seemed to handle all the tips from the floating tip, right through to type 8. Not as smooth as I hoped it would be, with touchdowns being somewhat splashy. Probably need more time with it.

- Vision Carrot Ace >>> at 37ft @ 523grains this line is just sweet !! Butter smooth casting with easy loading. I used everything from mono leaders from 12 to 18 feet and 10ft Airflo poly leaders from Hover to Super Fast sink, only needing to slow down and open up my stroke a little. But everything seemed to flow very nicely. My offering was a #1/0 reduced feather wing, so as far as payload is concerned, this set-up can handle everything I need it to. I'm really school-girl giddy over this shooting head :)

Mike

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,077 Posts
I have a FF70 on my Loomis 13' 7/8 and it cast 80 to 100 feet with out effort. Lands delicately with poly leaders and is just a sweet head.

Why do you say no tips? A Delta would probably fly well on that stick and you get a full set of tips. I throw a 1st gen Delta on my big stick and love it but it is a full line. The Delta II come both full line and head versions.

Dan

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At the time of the original post, I was not looking for a line with the capability of throwing tips. I was planning just dry lining. Since then, I tried the Beulah Aerohead which is very sweet and is a great dry line for the rod. Recently I purchased the WA55 for a tips option. The line handles all the tips really well, just not as smooth as I had hoped it would be or compared to the match up of my WA70's on my bigger sticks.

Mike

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should also mention I've been throwing Rio AFS 7/8 in floating, Hover, Intermediate Tip and Full Intermediate with this rod and must say the AFS is crazy good !! Whether with mono leaders from 12 to 18 feet, or Airflo polys looped on the AFS tip, the line is butter !!
The payload factor is greater with the new Carrot head though. The AFS starts to dwindle around the #2 reduced irons and becomes really "clunky" at #2/0 reduced.

Mike

·
Registered
622 Posts
Beware of the grain weight of Next Cast lines. I bought a WA 6/7. Their website said it is a 510 grain line, so I bought it, but then struggled with casting it. When I finally bought a grain scale I weighed the line. The head was only 405 grains. The tip was 105 grains. I was told that when matching Skagit lines to rods, the weight of a 10 foot tip does not count.

Ballistic Vectors are great, as long as your not casting heavy flies. If you are, I guess you can cut a few feet of the tip off.

Randy

·
Registered
723 Posts
If I'm fishing a 120 to 150+ grain sink tip, I think it should absolutely count! A rod's stated grain window, to my knowledge, represents the grain window that considers all components -- head and any tip. Am I missing something?

The fly fishing community (vendors, etc.) make our sport more complicated than it needs to be. I think it is often a barrier of entry for those interested in the sport. I just think it's crazy how complicated we sometimes make this stuff to be. It's really not -- or at least its not supposed to be. With today's rods, the grain windows are quite large and forgiving. This leaves much preference up to the individual angler, their casting style, and rod's particular load-- whether it be off the tip or deep into the cork.

Randy -- the last comment isn't directed at you. I know you're very experienced and you 'get it'. I believe a Next Cast WA is always intended to be used with tips -- whether it be an appropriately weighted sink tip or a density compensated floating line of similar grains.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was always told not to include tips with skagit water born anchor cast just touch and go. It has worked for me. When I talked to Simon about Nextcast lines the floating tip is included in the posted grain weights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts