Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Just curious as to what you all really like for cold weather fishing gloves. I fish in the cold quite a bit and have been though several differnt pairs trying to find the best and most comfortable. Here was the progession:

1. Wool Fingerless (fingers nearly broke off:mad:

2. After a very short time I got some full Neoprene with the folding thumb and index finger. (Ok until they got wet, then they were clammy the rest of the day. Also couldn't feel the rod very well)
3. After a few years I tried a pair of Windproof fleece foldover mitts. First a pair of Wind Rivers,(big improvement over Neoprene) then a pair of
4. Simms (Best gloves I ever had) then I lost the Simms, and replaced them with a new pair.
5. Well, the new generation Simms weren't so hot (oh bad pun, sorry). They went up in price and were made about 1/2 as warm. Simms cut the thickness of the fleece by about 1/3-1/2 and they weren't nearly the product of my earlier pair.
6. I picked up a pair of Half Neoprene, half windproof fleece, half finger gloves and have been fishing in them for the last month or so. They are pretty darn good. They keep in a lot of heat, the fleece allows them to breath pretty well, so they don't get as clammy, and I can feel the rod almost as well as I can without them on. So far so good. ;)

So I just wanted to hear a few opinions on the matter. It is a vital piece of equipment if you fish in cold weather. So what do you like/dislike and why?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Which Gloves for Cold work?

1. I agree with the good Dr., wool fingerless are about useless for our sport in the cold.
2. When it is really cold I have gone with neoprene, Glacier Gloves. I go with the heavier version in extreme cold. They stay warm in any weather I am willing to brave. I do not find a little moisture from releasing a fish with the gloves on to be a problem.
3. I have not tried Simms fleece. The ones I have tried have not done as well as neoprene.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Dr Swing

God gave me warm hands and feet. Most of the time, March-Nov., I just use the newer Sun Blocker Gloves. If it is cold and not windy, I found a pair of the weather max gloves that are without the finger tips. They are light, roll up, and basically bullet proof. Water just rolls off and perspiration goes right out. At the end of the day I rinse them off in the river and throw them on the top of my wader bag for the next trip.

If it is cold and there is a Wind like a week ago Sunday, I use my Simms with the Windblocker lining. Water just rolls off and doesn't accumulate and perspiration evaporates right out. The regular Simms w/o the windblocker lining doesn't work as well.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I like heavy weight wool half-finger gloves for winter fishing. I began using the heavy weight wool half-finger gloves for late fall, very early spring (late October into December and early Febuary into early April) when I lived in Montana. The standard weight wool fingerless I found to be nearly worthless; however, the heavy weight half-finger ones are a very different animal and they keep my fingers and hands warm even when they are soaked.

The fleece gloves I've tried did not do that, even the windblocker fleece wasn't as warm as the heavy weight wool half-finger gloves. The down side of using the heavy weight wool half-finger gloves is they make the rod grip feel much larger and might cause you to have finger/hand fatique after several hours of fishing until you get used to the extra bulk.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I'm like grandpa spey, my hands are hot. My favorites are the medium weight fingerless ragwools with the little brown rubber dots on the palms for moderately cold days but there have been those days when neoprene gloves came in handy.

I can't say I enjoy the feeling of neoprene gloves as well as the open fingers but some days are meant for full protection. One such day I hooked a very hot native buck that put so much friction on the neoprene finger that the line melted thru and scorched my finger.

I loved that fish, and gently let it go. I put aquaseal over the melt mark and for the rest of the lifetime of those gloves I would look at the scar and think about that ridiculously hot fish, the steelhead from hell.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Dr. Swing

Here is a glove that I think a lot of you will like. They are called
Seal SKINZ......they are totally waterproof. Are very very thin and I think allow good feel. They have a rubber ribbing or dots on the palm side for good grip.

Albiet they are a little pricey...here in Canada they run $50 Cdn....so for the fellas from the US they should be about $2....sorry couldn't resist. Any good outdoor store should carry them, I have heard a number of people finding them at any store carrying Kayaking gear. I get them from a store in Nelson BC Canada called Vallhalla Pure.

If you are looking for them, do a search on the internet there are lots of hits; just make sure you spell it correctly "Seal SKINZ"

They are made in the USA. A friend of mine who is big time into cycling in all weather swears by them....this guy puts more miles on his bike than most of us put on our cars.

Hope this helps you in your quest.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, Thanks for your imput. Unlike Juro and Grampa, my hands do not like the cold, but I don't let that stop me from getting my feet wet this time of year. So far this winter I think I have about 20-30 days in where it was cold enough to need gloves,I am always looking for something better than what I have because I tend to get my moneys worth out of it.

I wasn't really clear on this, but both pair of the Simms gloves I mentioned were foldover windproof mitts. They changed the product 2-3 years ago, and the newest generation isn't as good. The older pair were phenomenal.

I agree with most of you in that the fleece without windblock it pretty worthless.

I haven't found a pair of wool gloves that really got it done but maybe I haven't found a thick enough pair, I'll look a little harder, Flytyer, thanks.

Foldover mitts, while always wanting to catch my line, are nice to have, but I seldom actually have them folded over. Most if the time, the fold over flap simply freezes solid after getting wet and doesn't do a bit of good.

Sun blocker gloves just aren't enough for me. I wish they were, I am envious of you with warm hands.

Norseman, I haven't tried the sealskinz. I know the socks they make are very heighly regarded though. I just can't see being able to knot a size 22 to 6x tippet with a pair of full finger gloves on, but I would love it if I could.

Juro, the crazy steelie story was a good one. I just had burns in my fleece gloves to remind me of why I quit smoking. Line burns would be a lot better!

Well, thanks again, any more imput would be very good. Tight lines.

·
Registered
506 Posts
gloves

I have a pair of wool gloves with Thinsulate in them. I have had these soaking wet this year in weather down to about 20 degrees and my hand s were still warm. Got them at the local
BY Mart for about 8 bucks.

Skilly

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might try this...
Take along a whiperlight stove, or peak canister stove, and several pairs of ragwool full finger gloves- Each time you freeze out, set up the stove and grab a dry pair . The canister stove is quick to set up with blue fingers:whoa: I used to not want to stop fishing but found that a short break and warm hands was worth the time spent, and I hooked more fish because I was concentating on fishing and not my blue fingers- You'll be surprised at the "New Friends" you'll make on the river when you offer a warm fire to them- Great way to learn new patterns too;)
I pack all my goods in a backpack that goes with me everywhere on the days outing- It allows me to fish all day, in the winter on the tail waters in Wyo and MT. Also, you cant cook a polish sausage in a wet fleece glove!!:hehe:
Give it a try-
Uflyfish2

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got a pair of REI gloves. They were $30. I like them a lot. They are windproof fleece everywhere but the palm which is thin leather. Good feel and plenty warm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.