Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
There are a number of good options out there but I have yet found one I like as much as the T&T 1307-3.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
JasonH said:
I didnt know there was a burkie 7125? Old or new? I have been eyeing the 7133 though.

Jason
I think it has been out for 2-3 years. It likes the Airflo Skagit 6/7 or the Rio Skagit 450. I prefer the Airflo though. For a dryline I like the 8/9 Snowbee 2d(62' head). I just picked up a 8/9 Carron(65' head) and it is a tad heavy but a typical Carron(great casting). It is a fairly fast rod. Like I said it is the best " true 7 wt." I have cast.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've just recently upgraded from an old Sage 7136 to the new R.B. Meiser 14' 6/7 Highlander. I can't say enough good things about my new Meiser. The 6/7 midspey is a wonderful match as is the 450 skagit. Definitely the nicest and most capable 7 weight I've crossed paths with. It really is a true 7 wt.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Jason,
I have the Burkie 7133, you're welcome to play with it and see if you like it. Get in touch with me via PM, we can meet up on a sunday morning. I can also likely get you an opportunity to cast the Burkie 7141. To me the 7133 is a better scando and short belly-with sink tip rod but long bellies are not it's forte' as it is sort of short and kind of quick. The 7141 is a fantastic rod with the longbelly, superb with a midspey (with or without tips) and actually throws the 450 skagit line very, very well.

I love my 7133 and see it as a great fishing tool whereas the 7141 is more of a graceful casting rod. Your own casting style will make one or the other pop for you.

Jim

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Like Steve, I like the Anderson rods but my favorite rod has to be the Scott ARC 1287 - this will throw the original 7 xlt as well as the skagit 550 and lines in between

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with David. I worked my Winston Sunday with all confiurations possible with the Windcutter and tips setup including a 12 foot section of T14. I was able to create fishable casts in windy conditions with all configuations. I feel of the rods I have tried the 13'3 7/8 will cover any situation execpt perhaps targeting chinook.

lane

·
Registered
545 Posts
Dornblaser said:
Winston 13'3" BIIx 7/8 does it all from Skagit to Scando to Short & Mid-Bellies.

- David
Don't forget the long-belly. This rod is awesome with the 7 xlt as well. It does it all without compromise at any style from short to long.

Other 7 wts. that I enjoy casting/fishing are the 1307 LS2 Scott and 1307 T&T

Greg

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The Barry Bonds 7 weight on Roids is the Sage 7141

JasonH said:
Just curious what some of you guys think the best 7 weight spey rods out there are. Looking at a rod that will handle both long belly floaters and throw sinking tips with authority.

Jason

The Sage 7141 will cast long lines, medium lines, Skagit lines, coastal lines and Striper lines with authority. :Eyecrazy: It could handle any steelhead in California including the Smith River big guys.

Having said that, my 7141 like most 7 weight rods is too much rod for most of our N California rivers/streams most of the year with the exception of high winter waters.

My Sage 6126-3 and even my Sage 5120 can cover most of the waters we have in N California a lot easier than a 7, 8 or 9 weight rod. So my beautiful custom made 7141 spends most of the year in the closet.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The Meiser Highlander 14' 6/7 and the T&T 1307 get my vote. Both are fast recovering, somewhat stiff, with good power in the butt that handle any 7 wt, or 6/7 wt sink tip or line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts