Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CLA Speycasting Tournament
Scott Mackenzie broke the world record with a magnificent cast of 68yds.,beating Alexanders Grants long standing record. Gordon Armstrong is second with 60yds. Young Blair Banks (14) has 59 Grant Mackenzie 58 Knut Stryade 58 Andrew Toft 56.
Most of the casters are using both Carron rods and lines, Knut has his Loop rod and Scott a Diawa. The latter two are using what appears to be XLT shooting heads.
Only the top six qualify for Sunday’s final so it looks like if you are not throwing in the big 50s you are wasting your time.

Short report from the CLA campsite on lap top and mobile phone

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Willie...

Thank you for the report. For some reason I feel a little sad that Mr. Grant's record has fallen. At the same time I wish to say congralulations to Scott Mackenzie and all the other BIG HITTERS that are in the running. I will be rooting for Blair Banks. At 14 he is casting with the BIG boys. I think that is very cool! He must be one Hell of a caster. :whoa:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
congratulations Scott Mackenzie

and to those who put in the time to do these distance casts,and those who sponsor and promote the game fairs/claves,,now,,where's the video footage,,, ;)

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Wow 200'+ spey cast. He not only beat it..he smashed it.

Congrats Scott, amazing feat and with all the casting work you guys put in it is well deserved.

-sean

·
Registered
344 Posts
The heck with the big guys. A 14-yr-old casting 59 yards???

Humbling, very humbling. Very, very, very humbling.

Congrats to all the competitors, and especially to Mr. Mackenzie and young Mr. Banks. (And I do mean MISTER Banks!!!)

Humbling.

--Bill

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yeah the 14 yr old kid is amazing. What are they feeding him so he can handle an 18' rod. Have they checked his birth certificate? He better not have a full beard :hihi:

-sean

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats on the record Scott - I just measured 68 yards on the front street- not sure I could bicycle that far without a rest:))))))
14 years old-59 yards- methinks they have re-introduced caber tossing into the early years Phys Ed programs there:)

Will

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Congratulations to Scott, Gordon, Blair (wow), Grant, Knut and Andrew. What a line-up!

I am sure Scott feels great respect and appreciation for the precendent set by the greats of the past that inspired them to get where they are today.

Sounds like I will have to plan a vacation next year to visit Malcom and enjoy the show.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i like where Willy Gunn said=

it appears the last two are using XLT shooting heads,,,sounds like ALL the lines the finalists are using could be considered `shooting heads' eh! ;)

·
Banned
974 Posts
Wow

Wow! I am not sure what stands out the most, the lengths of the casts or the 14 year old "man" competing with his older brethern.

Go Blair!

Willie Gunn what length of rod do they use for the competition?

David Dornblaser

P.S. - the fish don't mind if my casts suddenly look even worse and more insecure after reading this thread, do they? :(

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i need one or two `replicas'

of Mr. mackenzie's Daiwa would be my idea :smokin: ,now if the young man was to sign with Daiwa in 4-5 years we'll be seeing,,hmmmm,,hahahaha,,anyone like to guess :hihi:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Cla

Well done Scott, Gordon and the rest of the guys, i knew young Blair was going to be something, but thought it would be a little while yet, and to think he lives 3 miles from where Alexander Grant was born, again well done Scott , Blair and Gordon, all the big hitters are still in the Highlands, hope to catch up, when you guys get home.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
With all due respect to Mr. Mackenzie , but when I was 14, my biggest goal was to ride a wheelly 30ft on my bicycle. I've got money on this kid setting some records.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Brilliant Scott - I cannot say that I am surprised. After watching you (and your fellow Scots) at Spey-O-Rama with the dedication and hard work that you put into your casting coupled with no small measure of ability - it was only a matter of time and good conditions before this exalted record fell.

Well done!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gillie said:
Willie,
Is Ian Gordon in the competition ?

Gillie
No unfortunately Ian is working om Speyside and cannot get time off this year.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
While it does not seem possible I was under the impression that Grant's record was not shooting any line - just a pick up switch cast? Thought I had read that somewhere?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts