Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may remember (especially Aldo), Aldo posted a pattern called the flying circus just over a year ago that I took a liking to. I messaged him and he kindly gave me the ingredients to tie it up. I made some modifications and it proved to be a steelhead winner.

Fast forward to this summer and I was continuing to modify the fly. I didn't really like how the originals rode in fast water - they would often spin and sometimes would not stay afloat. I decided to try a larger (wider top) head on them, and it seemed to do the trick.

Then a buddy informed me beach fishing for pinks on dry flies was doing well, so I figured what the heck. I threw the flying circus together in some "pink salmon" colours and took to the beach with the fly rod. These flies with the larger top produce a heck of a wake - and the fish really seemed to like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIv0FAzMS-s

Enjoy!

·
Undertaker
1,326 Posts
good times

That sure looked like fun. Kinda reminded me of tossing sponge spiders for bluegills in a farm pond, but more fun. Neat fly as well.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
First, that looks like some seriously crazy fun!!! More evidence that I'm living on the wrong side of the continent.

Second, could you please post a pick or two of the fly? Looks like you have improved it significantly. Would love to incorporate some of your changes.

Thanks for posting this - I got a huge kick out of it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steelhead fly is orange, pink fly in pink.... The orange one is a bit ratty as it's been in a few mouths :razz:

Only changes I really made were the wider top (steelhead fly I added wings). I stuck with your original design for the V-shape, but made the top piece of foam extend over the V in a curved shape.

I also found that the only way to make these things last was to use copious amounts of... shoe goo. With the shoe goo heads, the heads hold their form no matter what current, stripping action, or fish abuse you put them through. Been playing around with them a lot as they are my confidence fly, and I think I'll stop now as I have the action and durability I want for both waking and stripping them in.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Whoa, yeah! I really like what you did here! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoa, yeah! I really like what you did here! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for sharing originally man!

That fly has caught me a lot of top water steel... and these pinks. Your original design was great, the tweaks are hardly anything really. I just simply modified it a bit for the situations it was in and the species it was targeting.

Glad ya liked the vid and the mod's!

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Now that looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing, going to have to tie up a few of those. I imagine they will work for Silvers as well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts