Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of fishing the Alaskawest Kanektok next summer sometime. Currently I Skagit cast around the Great Lakes with an 8/9 and 6-8 ft of T10. Can any recommend a Skagit setup for Alaskawest Kanektok?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If I was going I would go for Kings.Therefore I would want a 1409 of your fav maker.Skagit line,big flys [black,purple,chartreuse/blue],tips[10-13ft type 8 and t14] +intermed cheater.Tke a single if you want to sight cast to some big Rainbows.the double you have if you are after silvers.Beau

·
Registered
293 Posts
OK I guided for alaska west for 6 years from 1994-1998 and again in 2001 and I was fortunate enough to be there just as the 2-handers began to get popular at AKWest so I could go on forever on this topic simple as it is. The info I really need to answer your question is what week are you booking? Without that info, I can say that the best fish for the 2-hander on the K-tok, in my mind, are chums and kings. Your setup is good for chums but may be too light for kings. You can target either species though. I say "may be" because Ed Ward was my roomate up there and he fished for kings with a 7141-4 and just broke off any fish he hooked over 25 lbs. because it was too hard to land them you may not want to do that. For Kings I used the 10150-4 and 10160-(4? or 3? can't remember) and the 4-pc 15 footer was the best for my taste. Another great rod I tried up there but never owned was a loomis 15' 10-wt GLX. Those kings are brutes and I think a heavier rod I really liked the 10/11/12 windcutter with both rods but a skagit setup would be great, too; the rio website would be a good place to start for line recs off the top of my head I'm thinking 600 grain skagit with a 200-grain 15' type 6 and trailer-hooked marabou prawns would do some damage. Personally I don't think silvers fish as well consistently as chums and kings for the 2-hander on the Kanektok; it has to do with water levels and the kind of water the fish "hang out" in. Silvers really like the froggy stuff, backsloughs, etc. Every year there are a couple mid-river holes that hold silvers OK but for the most part it's more of a cast a strip thing.

Before the 2-hander thing got popular in 1995 I used to fish off "zoo bar" (location of the AK West old camp) by myself some times until 1 am. In those days on good nights I'd hook 6-8 kings up to 35 lbs. in a couple hours landing roughly 20-50% of them. By the next year after I kept blabbering about how good it was we used to have a lineup of dudes and guides every night, some times 10 or 12 rods on the beach, and guys were still hooking 2-3 and sometimes 5 fish in an evening. The camp is upriver now but that piece of water is still there and pretty damn sweet I might add.

Like I said I could go on forever if you want specific information you can e-mail me [email protected]. I spent a lot of time up there so I can help.

Best,

-John

·
Registered
293 Posts
Beau,

My personal feeling is that no 2-hander is really one line weight. Just depends on the person. If you like it fast under-line it, like it slow, over line it, like it medium then line it in the middle. But yeah for a 7-wt the 7141 is damn fast and definitely on the top end. In my mind it's an 8 1/2 wt. I use a 789 windcutter or a 550 skagit on it, which is the same line I use on my 9140, which is probably more like an 8 wt.

As far as kings go on a 7-wt yeah it's not a good idea exactly what I was saying. Ed did it but he was targeting specific sized fish - 20 lb on average. Which you can handle on a 7141 no problem. It's just the big bruisers, 30-45 lbs, that you are going to get hosed on. That's why I fished 'em with a 10-wt. I think anything lighter is a bit too light for my taste.

Talk to you later,

-John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts