Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a business trip coming up in September to Anchorage. Any suggestions on places to fish on a budget, from my rental car? Thanks in advance, ED.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Alaska on your own

Get a copy of The Highway Angler by G. Pedersen. He lists all the places you can drive to, mile markers, species of fish available etc. Stay away from the Kenai penninsula unless you like combat fishing or just want to go to the zoo.:hehe:

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bird Creek is a great spot for silvers in the fall. It's about a half hour drive south of Anchorage. Another sweet little spot is Hope Creek in the sleepy town of Hope about an hour south. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alaska sept

EdS,

Forget the budget Alaska is a trip of a lifetime and you will get hooked. Any you will have all winter to regret it.

I agree with both JD and Lambchop. Highway Angler is an excellent reference and Bird creek has some great silvers if you like muddy banks.

You might want to try some trophy rainbows on the Kenai in early sept. Its about 2hrs+ drive but some of the best scenery in the world. Never fished the kenai at that time myself but I have seen pics of 16lb rainbows.

Just seeing your thread brought back great memories so i dug up some links with fish runs etc etc.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/sf_home.cfm

alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/

w ww.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Sonar/sonar.html

to find when the fish runs take place.

or
w ww.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/

or

Trophy Rainbows

w ww.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/fieldnotes/brianrainbows.html

or contact the guys in Mountain View sports.
w ww.mtviewsports.com/shop/view_product.php?product=Flies%20For%20Alaska

good luck. Paul.

·
Registered
204 Posts
EdS,

Alaska is a magical place for fishing in September. Within two hours of Anchorage either north or south you will find outstanding rainbows, dollies and grayling eager to hit a fly. The highway angler is a good reference and would be a great planning tool.

The local fly fishers don't consider fishing in September combat fishing even on the Kenai. You see combat (shoulder to shoulder) fishing for red salmon in June and July. The crowds are gone by September and there is only the hard core awesome group fly fishermen out at that time of year.

Check out akflyfish.net for updated information also.

akcaster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts