Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right! That sun is awfully hot! And the glare on the eyes just terrible! Think I sweated off 5lbs on the last trip... Don’t even get me started about all that dust on the trail up the river Sheesh!

Arrived at a favorite camp last Sunday for what normally would have been a prime time to tempt some mighty steelhead with my bugs. But with conditions as they were I spent my day pursuing other activities. What did I do instead you ask? Well sunbathing of course. Sunbathing! That's right! Is this crazy or what? Spring steelheading in Alaska and what am I doing? Laying out on the beach in front of camp in nothing but my shorts! Would have fit right in on a California beach with my sunglasses, book, and refreshment (At least if I didn't have that fish belly complexion). On the bright side, I got the closest I've been to a female in months while being darn near naked (Yes boys, more than just one kind of fishing is tough here) I guess laying across the trail wasn't such a bad idea...

It's been February since the last significant precipitation here. A dribble here and there in March and next to nothing so far this month! It's crazy I tell you!

Ahh but the forecast calls for southeast winds and rain tomorrow ... Did I hear that right 90% chance of precipitation? Can't remember the last time I've heard those words...

Boy! Those fish must be getting pretty ripe put there... Just waiting for some water so they can answer nature’s call... Yep, things are looking up here. Tomorrow things are gonna be great, ... and day after, now that's the things stories are made of...

Still the optimist,
pescaphile

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Be careful or you'll end up with the Indian war paint, reverse racoon, Xfile Area51 "tan" from wearing shades while standing over water. :hehe:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Alaska Steelheading

My reverse racoon tan from Medford has already peeled twice, and I'm headed for Ak. next Fri. I've learned my lesson and have the sun screen packed. Hopefully PWI has been having more rain than you have.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Reverse "Medford Tan." Good news/bad news :>)

Jere, so warm this afternoon after work I had to pull my shirt off and fish in a "tee." Also had to pull off the breathable chest waders as I was sweating too much. Down to breathable hippers and blue jeans.

The bad news is zip for a hook up for a couple of hours of fishing.

More bad news is the river is still at 3000+ out-flow at 42 degrees.

Good news: No current Steelhead count, but as of 4-4 16,665

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Pescaphile and other Alaskans:

We've got your missing rain right here. The Seattle TV weather segments show a solid week of drippy rainclouds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts