Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Softcover version of Al’s great book in good condition asking 400 us shipping included in North America
PayPal preferred

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
I’ve long had a theory some folks over at Amato Publications have boxes of the old out of print books they sell on the black market since there are several of their old out of print “classics” that go for a mint. :)

Other example include the Bill McMillan dry line book and the Spey and Dee fly book. I think there are even a few others that have achieved this dubious status. Still, I think the company would make money if they just did some reprints. These are all from the pre-electronic era so I’m betting there are no electronic versions of the draft, and I wonder if they even could do reprints at this point.

But this is simply madness - especially this one seemingly would have little collectors value as a paperback. I got Poppy’s last copy I think about 5 years ago - at the intended price of $19.95. Even with the author’s signature. Should I put it a safe inside a slip cover or something? :chuckle:

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Words on the internet lol
No matter others opinions I am asking less than the established value and if all you can do is post here with no interest in buying well I’m not sure what to make of that :(

Botsari might I suggest that you put your copy up for sale for half of what you paid for it as it’s used and not worthy of the established value;)

·
River Rat
303 Posts
I'm sure you'll find someone who will buy it - I remember when people were trying to sell Veverka's Spey fly book for exorbitant amounts, and some people paid it. And then they reprinted the book.

I was taken aback at the demand around Veverka's book (I hung on to mine, and have shared it with others), and most other recent "classics" out there on two-handed rods and the culture around them.

If it is such a cultural masterpiece that it demands an over $400 dollar price tag, you'd think it should go to a museum or something to that effect where the knowledge can be shared with others. Those are strictly my thoughts tho, Bruce.

good luck with your sale -

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grant we might be able to come up with a payment plan:)

Reactions: Cicada

·
Registered
438 Posts
We all love free markets until we don't.

My favourite contemporary musical artist has out-of-production DVDs listed on amazon.ca for just over C$300, one box of 8 vinyl LPs for over C$3,000, audio CDs from over C$50 to C$266.

The odd thing is that just about every song on these expensive DVDs, CDs and LPs is available on the web in FLAC format for a free (albeit illegal) download. Collectors seem to exhibit a very high willingness to pay for the original. Kinda like flyfishing, no?

In the meantime, printing more books and stamping out more CD, DVDs and vinyl LPs costs a lot of money and for low demand items is rarely worth it.

Bruce: As I am the one who originally drew your attention to the going prices for Buhr's casting book, do I get a cut of any sales or rentals? :)

Reactions: fisshman26

·
Registered
631 Posts
This may be of interest, from Clarks bamboo forum, regarding current fly fishing book prices..

The Classic Fly Rod Forum ? Book Values Have Tanked

From what I have seen of Amazon book prices, including many that I have purchased, the same publication price may differ very wildly, to hundreds of $$ difference. They may be 'asking' that price but it may not be the 'selling ' price, I would not consider it a reliable way to value a book. Even at auction, the first copy of a book may acheive a premium price, another may be put up for sale in the hope of also cashing in, however now there are two of them and possibly more, so usually the price then falls as the perception of rarity and value can disuade buyers.
I should add, I have no knowledge of the book here in question.

Malcolm

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This may be of interest, from Clarks bamboo forum, regarding current fly fishing book prices..

The Classic Fly Rod Forum ? Book Values Have Tanked

From what I have seen of Amazon book prices, including many that I have purchased, the same publication price may differ very wildly, to hundreds of $$ difference. They may be 'asking' that price but it may not be the 'selling ' price, I would not consider it a reliable way to value a book. Even at auction, the first copy of a book may acheive a premium price, another may be put up for sale in the hope of also cashing in, however now there are two of them and possibly more, so usually the price then falls as the perception of rarity and value can disuade buyers.
I should add, I have no knowledge of the book here in question.

Malcolm

Hey Malcolm thanks for helping me sell my book :(
Forget amazon but AbeBooks is very reliable;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
There is definitely algorithms at play. The inventory on the sites overlap as they are marketplaces where sellers can post the same book to multiple sites (Abe,Amazon,ect). The prices are often the same or very similar on the book marketplaces online.
The prices dynamic.
I don't pay attention to these prices and prefer to find prices of actual "sold" books to get a true value of an item. That being said in the fly fishing world of collecting the saying "something is worth what someone else is willing to pay" rings true again and again.
The right moment in time with the right buyer and WHAMMO! I know I have overpaid knowingly on more than one occasion to acquire something special I had been searching for long and hard.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bruce: As I am the one who originally drew your attention to the going prices for Buhr's casting book, do I get a cut of any sales or rentals? :)[/QUOTE]

Enso, I’m sure we could work something out :grin2:

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Book has gone to eBay in cdn funds

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Words on the internet lol
No matter others opinions I am asking less than the established value and if all you can do is post here with no interest in buying well I’m not sure what to make of that :(

Botsari might I suggest that you put your copy up for sale for half of what you paid for it as it’s used and not worthy of the established value;)
I guess I should have been more specific - it is the situation that I think is madness (and maybe the buyers) not the sellers. If someone is willing to buy it for $10k the more power to you.

I have a bunch of old, small run, long out of print Richard Feynman theoretical physics type professional books that I ordered decades ago as they were integral to my Ph.D. thesis back then. Anyway, in the meantime he has become a worldwide folk figure, not just a Nobel prize winner that only physicists know about. I think this was due to the book he kind of narrated as author with his stories, a NOVA episode about him, and the thing that totally sparked it all off, his role in the Challenger disaster investigation which has become legendary and a meme. Long story short, all those books have gone for a grand or more on eBay at one point or another. It is weird, but not meaningless - it says something about perceptions. The fact that I still have all of them and have not sold them certainly implies that I may be as sentimental as the poor sods paying so much, just for a different set of reasons.

Al Buhr is kind of legendary, and I’m sure some people assume because copies are hard to find his excellent book has got some mystical info in there somewhere. You certainly need to study it like the Talmud to fully understand it. :chuckle:

Now a reprint of the original 79 pages of holy writ, with 500 pages of exegesis by Simon Gawesworth, Travis Johnson, Ed Ward, etc. (maybe the collector’s edition with DVD with life story, round table discussion, and a plasticine statuette of Al casting) ... I might redily pay $400 (Canadian) for that!

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
There is definitely algorithms at play. The inventory on the sites overlap as they are marketplaces where sellers can post the same book to multiple sites (Abe,Amazon,ect). The prices are often the same or very similar on the book marketplaces online.
The prices dynamic.
I don't pay attention to these prices and prefer to find prices of actual "sold" books to get a true value of an item. That being said in the fly fishing world of collecting the saying "something is worth what someone else is willing to pay" rings true again and again.
The right moment in time with the right buyer and WHAMMO! I know I have overpaid knowingly on more than one occasion to acquire something special I had been searching for long and hard.
I had built up a long list of books I have been searching for for decades about the time I became aware of abebooks.com in late 90’s. This was way before used books on amazon. I can tell you I spent WAY too much when I finally found them there. It overnight transformed my used bookstore addiction into something far deadlier. :Eyecrazy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts