loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thoughts? Do they penetrate well? seek alternative to springy std AJ's

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
I agree...

I just started tying/fishing the 2062 AJ...I can tell you this, they get down a lot faster than the 2052, and when you do find the bottom, you will probably break your tippet before bending them straight. I have not hooked any steel on them yet, but that day will come soon.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
They do get down, that is for sure. I have fished them for a couple of years but really don't like the way they swim that much. Its probably my perception more than anything but I rarely use them anymore. Hooking on them has been so-so but I don't have enough data to say if they don't penatrate well or not.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, its a heavy wire AJ spey, Aaron lists a few on his site. Found an old post touting the TMC 202SP, will have to try those as well. My TMC 7999's just don't cut it for speys, not elegant.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
ive found that when fiddling with the 202sp (ive never fished them) they seem much springier then the standard aj spey.

i have used the heavy wire's a bit and felt they swam fine although i dont have as much experience with them as I do they steelhead iron (aj spey...1x heavy, 1x short). i have used the size 3 and 5 a fair amount and love how they fish on a fly on a dry line on a hard swing as well as how they hook and hold fish.

·
Registered
869 Posts
apples & oranges

the daiichi Alec Jackson heavy wire is #2061, the AJ heavy wire hook is a daiichi #2161. daiichi only has one size of the 2061 and daiichi makes #1, #2, #4 and #6 in the 2161. AJ has the same hook listed as #1, #3, #5 and #7. these two hooks have somewhat different shapes, both are heavy and very strong, but shorter than the 2051. the TMC202sp has that nasty super point but is sadly no heavier than the daiichi 2051. in the same "bartleet" type shape the partridge CS102 is probably the heaviest long shank "spey" type hook with a good range of sizes. these are longer than the daiichi heavy wire, more similar to the standard 2051 just heavier wire.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Speaking of the Bartleet, what about the Bartleet "Supreme"? Nice heavy wire, but a little shorter than the AJ Spey. BTW, I find the Tiemco a bit soft. I wish I could say that it has straightened out while fishing, but I have not hooked a steelhead or salmon on one.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I have been tying my General Practioners on the AJ Heavy Spey Hook since Alec first put them on the market, some 7 years ago. I have not had any problems with hooking with them, nor have I noticed any problem with the way the swim when G.P.'s are tied on them. I also tie fuschia bunny leeches on the heavy AJ Spey Hook for chum salmon fishing and I've not had any problems with hooking chum either. However, these are the only flies I tie and fish on the heavy AJ spey hook.

I attached the fly with an improved Double Turle or a nail knot tied on the shank just behind the hook eye so that you get a straight line of pull with either the standard wire AJ Spey Hooks or the heavy ones.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update: have been using AJ heavy speys with great satisfaction for 2 months, they swim, hook, and hold well for me. Thanks for the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts