Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to travel with spey rods? I'm flying to WA/OR later this winter. I am taking a 14' and a 12'6" spey rod. In the past, I have just checked my flyrod with my luggage in it's regular tube that it comes in. Is it necessary to get some kind of travel case to take two rods? I'm thinking I will just duct tape the two tubes together and that way both rods will be in individual cases, but will stay together. The only downside is that all someone has to do is unzip the end and they are gone. What would you seasoned spey travelers suggest? The less expensive the better. Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more ?

Is it possible to carry on rod cases and store them in the tall closets near the front of the plane or do they have to be checked?

·
Registered
947 Posts
The safest, but most expensive option, provided you have a known destination with someone to hold the rods for you, is to send the rods ahead of you via UPS or FedEx. Other than that, be prepared to check them. You can try to carry them on, but -- as I said -- be prepared to check them at the security checkpoint or the boarding gate should they be denied access.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
They are probably going to make you check them unfortunately. At least that is the best way to look at it. I have been made to check mine everytime I have flown since 9/11. I bought a plano bazooka tube which you can get at any sporting goods store to travel with my rods. If can fit 4 rods and is pretty sturdy. About 40-50 bucks but worth it.

-sean

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Rod cases

Much discussion on this subject in the past. It usually boils down to make your own out of 4" pvc drain pipe or have a case custom built. Jack Cook @ Irish Anglers (sponser) can help you with that.

Rest assured you will have to check them. You may luck out and get as far as the boarding gate before they take them from you. In which case they will hand carry them out to the plane, and hand them back to you upon exit. Not too bad a deal.

Woe be unto you though if a rod case says "Bazooka" on it.:saeek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts