Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many others on this forum I do quite a bit of traveling to get to my fishing destinations. With airlines carry-on policies being less than a sure thing, I am looking for other options that are secure. I would rather limit this to bag options and not send the rods before hand, or use a rod carrier that is checked in as a separate bag.Right now I use a big roll top duffel bag but full of gear and rods the thing is a beast to carry in an airport. My goals are these.
1. Large enough to fit 4 piece spey rods 13-15 feet. From most of my calculations i can get by with a bag that is 40" long if I put it in diagonally.
2. Large enough to carry all my gear for the trip. Clothes, tackle, rods, waders, boots etc.
3. Wheels
4. In a perfect world it would not exceed 62 linear inches as to avoid oversize baggage charges but this might be impossible.

My question is... how many of you guys use hockey bags, snowboard bags, or any other type of large wheeled duffel to transport your gear and rods? What do you use to transport your gear all together?? And for those of you who do use those things... do they nail you for oversize baggage every time?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Good question. Always wondered if stuffing all that gear into a golf travel bag would incur any additional oversized baggage charges (if weight restrictions are not exceeded).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have used a golf travel bag for years and no problems. Works well for long rod tubes. I usually stuff a 4 inch diameter tube with rods and then my waders, wading boots, sling pack, fishing gear, etc., etc. All my normal clothes go in my carry on. Never charged for oversized because you are allowed a golf bag. I don't golf but mine has Acushnet (a golf brand) on the outside and no mistaking it is a golf bag. Airlines will allow golf bags. Looks a little weird when I check a golf bag and a Watermaster raft but never any problems or questions or oversize bag charges. Also throw a driver in the bag just in case they ask but they never have. If asked I would say I'm going golfing and fishing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ski Bag

Best I have found so far is an adjustable ski bag - plastic, with wheels. I think the model for one (1) pair of ski's would hold 3 spey rods. They are a bit pricey though. Not sure how that compares to the golf carriers.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Backpack

I use my old North Face Backpack (6000 cubic inches or so, from my expedition days, but does not hold my rods) for boots, waders, et cetera for the wife and I. I have done hockey bags, and never any problems.

I have problems with hooks and tools, but never rods with Carry-On.

Now for regular business travel that spans more than 3 days, I check in with a Samsonsite Flit'GT - Hard Plastic, as the Baggage Handlers recommended it for durability. https://www.samsonite.ca/page/flitegt.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oversized bag penalties!!

Do they nail you for oversized luggage for the snowboard case and hockey bags?? I would love to just get a hockey bag but some of the oversized luggage prices are nuts! I see some airlines that charge $175 and up with the cheapest ones being at least $75. I would normally just check another bag but that doesn't really solve the problem of a bag big enough to fit my rods. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oversize charges

In the past, Air Canada, did not charge for oversized fishing gear, but that was more than two years ago. I'll find out in two weeks how Delta and Alaska deal with it and how much they will charge. In the past I have also told them that I do not have a credit card and wish to pay cash...only able to produce a large bill. They could not make change and allowed the bag at no charge. I have my ticket and will only offer them cash. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Do they nail you for oversized luggage for the snowboard case and hockey bags?? I would love to just get a hockey bag but some of the oversized luggage prices are nuts! I see some airlines that charge $175 and up with the cheapest ones being at least $75. I would normally just check another bag but that doesn't really solve the problem of a bag big enough to fit my rods. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I never have been charged, though new charges continue to come, I do have sufficient flyer miles to get some immunity.

·
Registered
741 Posts
In the past, Air Canada, did not charge for oversized fishing gear, but that was more than two years ago. I'll find out in two weeks how Delta and Alaska deal with it and how much they will charge. In the past I have also told them that I do not have a credit card and wish to pay cash...only able to produce a large bill. They could not make change and allowed the bag at no charge. I have my ticket and will only offer them cash. I'll let you know how it goes.
Straight from the Air Canada website...

When packed separately, each of the following counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type:
fishing rod in rod case + tackle box
tackle bag + reels
landing net
boots
life jacket
One self-inflating life jacket per person is accepted in both carry-on and checked baggage provided:
it is fitted with a maximum of two small cylinders of carbon dioxide or another suitable gas in Division 2.2, and
it is accompanied by no more than two spare cylinders.
Waivers / Charges

Fishing rod in rod case:

NO oversize or additional piece charges apply if carried with tackle box.

All other additional checked baggage rules apply.

Packing instructions

The fishing rod(s) must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping.

If otherwise packaged, items may be refused for carriage. Air Canada is not liable if and to the extent that any damage results from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Straight from the Air Canada website...

When packed separately, each of the following counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type:
fishing rod in rod case + tackle box
tackle bag + reels
landing net
boots
life jacket
One self-inflating life jacket per person is accepted in both carry-on and checked baggage provided:
it is fitted with a maximum of two small cylinders of carbon dioxide or another suitable gas in Division 2.2, and
it is accompanied by no more than two spare cylinders.
Waivers / Charges

Fishing rod in rod case:

NO oversize or additional piece charges apply if carried with tackle box.

All other additional checked baggage rules apply.

Packing instructions

The fishing rod(s) must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping.

If otherwise packaged, items may be refused for carriage. Air Canada is not liable if and to the extent that any damage results from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage.

I've used this rule a lot.

I travel for work, often to the Skeena area. I bring spey rods every time. I pack three bags and a rod tube. One bag has my work stuff and clothes, maybe a sleeping bag etc. The next is a carry on with a laptop etc, the third is a "tackle bag" even though it has everythign that didn't fit in the first two bags. I then carry on my rod as stow it in overhead. If it doesn't fit, put it on the floor or "sky check" it. I never pay extra.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've used this rule a lot.
I then carry on my rod as stow it in overhead. If it doesn't fit, put it on the floor or "sky check" it. I never pay extra.
Thanks for your reply. Any idea what's the max length of rod they would accept as carry on?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Any idea what's the max length of rod they would accept as carry on?
Don't know the official max length, but they don't seem too bothered by that number. They didn't look twice or measure my 9140-4 case. I once brought a 7' piece of 5" ABS pipe on a Pacific Coastal Air flight, they didn't bat an eye, but I think I got lucky there.

As for what fits in an overhead bin, it depends on the plane and the airline. I fly a lot in Dash-8s, but not in a Kind Air, IIRC. If it doesn't fit, I put it on the floor or give it to the stewardess who puts up front somewhere then gives it back at the end upon landing.

What I'm getting at is that the airlines I've brought rods on frequently (AC and Hawk Air, Pacific Coastal) don't seem to fussed about the length and will usually make it work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I traveled to Hawaii with two rods and reels. The rods were carried on in the tubes but i put them in a long shipping tube that was just long enough to fit them. Stuffed it with protection/newspaper after that. Reels were in my camera bag/backpack. I did take the fly lines (not including backing) off my lines because I did have someone give me trouble over having lines and it being a chocking hazard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts