Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Redington Redfly 14' 9/10 and need a line with tips for it. Has anyone used the traditional spey from airflo on this rod? I know they discontinued that line, but I have the chance to pick one up. I was looking at a midspey or long delta as well, but thought that a longer bellied line would really help me develop my casting style in the more traditional method of cast and swing without stripping line. Is a long bellied line overkill with tips and better suited to floating lines? I have fished a windcutter on this rod, but I don't want to develop bad habits with my timing by getting too used to a short bellied line. Any advice on lines and weights is appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Snowbee

I would go with the Snowbee 3D. This line is 72 feet of head and is much softer than the Airfo. The energy transfer during the cast is superior, much like the Carron lines. The best part is they only run about $75.

If you buy one and do not love it you can send it back.

Shortly I will have the Partridge Ian Gordan lines as well

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
speyman a question about the softer lines.

This line is 72 feet of head and is much softer than the Airfo. The energy transfer during the cast is superior, much like the Carron lines.

Why is it the well balanced Softer lines do a better job in transferring energy.

My Carron does a great job with long leaders, long sinking leaders and big flies.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey speyman,

Does the snowbee line come in a tips versions?
Thanks,

Brian

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
No tips

It does not but I would be happy to cut and put loops on it for you.
The 9/10 Snowbee will cast Rio 8/9 sink tips or Airflo 9/10 no problemo.

For my money I would just use sinking poly leaders and loop them on in place of your mono leader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts