Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a CND Expert 14 ft. 9/10 and had asked for advice on a line for the rod. According to my notes, Juro had recommended the 725 grain Airflo Traditional 8/9 Spey line for the rod. I'm having trouble finding a place where I can buy that line. My questions are:

1. What is the difference between the 725 grain Airflo Traditional and the 725 grain Rio Midspey?

2. Is the Airflo Traditional sold another name like the Delta long spey and that's the reason I can't find it or is this just a hard line to find?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Gus -

• The Traditional is a fairly new line and not all that easy to find just yet. Although I said I love that line on this rod, please be aware that it's an 85 foot spey head. If you fish smaller rivers with tips, go for the Windcutter 8/9/10 or 9/10/11 with tips instead. I'll do a side-by-side tomorrow of the 8/9/10 and 9/10/11 on the Expert and let you know what I think.
  • But if you want to long line a floater, the Airflo Traditional is the cat's meow. It's long enough to work a long grease line on a big river at 85 feet, yet not so long you need to change your stroke very much. In other words, you can let the anchor kiss down and it won't kill the forward cast unlike extended belly lines where you need to be ahead of the touch-down. If this is your gig, you might try contacting Tim Rajeff, our sponsor, for information on who'd have the line in stock in your area. I can send you out a loaner as well, just PM me with your mailing address.
  • The Midspey head is about 20 feet shorter than AirfloTrad. I have the Midspey 8/9 and the 9/10 but haven't spent much time with the combination since discovering the heavenly match up with the Traditional. I will do so tomorrow AM and let you know.
  • I haven't tried this yet either but the Airflo 9/10 Long Delta (690gr over 66') sounds like it may be in the sweet spot for the rod. I will try this as well but it will take a while to get my hands on the line.
SUMMARY:

If you fish sinktips or small to moderate sized rivers, the 54' Windcutter w/ tips (or comparable Delta w/ tips) is the way to go for this rod.

If the game is to long line summer rivers with dry lines (no stripping) the 85' Traditional 8/9 (or comparable Wulff Spey) is the way to go. Cut the first couple of feet off the tip as Tim recommends for use with long summer leaders.

Let me know if you can't find it and I will send out a loaner for you to try

Meanwhile, how do you plan to fish this rod... tips? Small rivers? Broad rivers?

thanks,
Juro

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
If you are still having a tough time finding the line, you might try the Red Shed Flyshop. They are also a sponsor and I know Mike has most of the Airflo lines available.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Airflo Traditional

Howdy Gus, I have all the Airflo floating spey lines for rent reasonably if you want to try any of them. I also have all the Airflo Traditionals in stock. I have been using a 9/10 Delta Long (66' head @ 690 grns.) on the same rod you have with great success. I am a dyed in the wool Delta/ Windcutter length line lover but I am sold on the 9/10 Delta Long line on the CND CNF1409 Expert Series rod. Take care, MJC-Red Shed

J

·
0 Posts
Having been a fan of the old (now discontinued) Rio Accelerator, I find the best way to think of the Traditional Delta is as an improved Accelerator. The head lengths are very close and the Traditional seems to cast more fluidly. Some have told me that is due to its not having the "hinge" that many casters disliked on the Accelerator. In the floating versions, I actually like the Air Flo speylines better than the Rio versions. I usually use polyleaders from my floaters and find they work extremely well for most conditions.

·
1,771 Posts
Hello again Gus,

I spent some time casting the Rio Windcutter 9/10/11 on the Expert 1409 this morning. I had planned to compare the 8/9/10 and 8/9 Midspey but I got paged to less pleasant duties.

I tested the (54' head) Windcutter in case you are fishing smaller streams, and/or if sinktips are a consideration. Also, if the retrieve includes stripping after the swing, the shorter heads rule. The Windcutter also turns the fly over very well when only part of the head is beyond the tip, which would help for short lining in tight quarters.

Again I don't know what your situation is but nonetheless I can tell you what I found out FWIW...

The Windcutter 9/10/11 w/ tips is a gun on the Custom 1409SP, and it also works very well on the Expert 1409 provided you like a fully loaded feel when casting. Considering Simon Gawesworth's two-level line ratings, the 9/10/11 would be on the fuller load side, and the 8/9/10 on the crisper, lighter side. So it really does depend on what you like.

There was no lack of muster in the casting, the rod has the kick for this line. To lessen the weighty feel, I stripped the back taper into the guides a bit and it shot just as much running line.

Just as I was going to spool up the 8/9/10, I got called off the water. I can imagine that it will be the lighter, crisper sister as Simon lists on the Rio site. They'll both work, preferences are the key here.

If your fishing situation calls for a longer spey head - based on grain weight ratings and the comments of MJC and sinktip, I would venture that the Long Delta 9/10 is an ideal match at 690 grains over 66ft. My guess is that the Midspey is going to feel a little heavier than the Long Delta, so I'd go with two guys who have firsthand experience.

SUMMARY:

If you plan to fish (a) smaller rivers, (b) use sinktips a lot, and (c) like a distinctly loaded feel the Windcutter 9/10/11 is a good choice. If (a) and (b) but you prefer a lighter crisper feel, go with the 8/9/10 Windcutter.

If your fishing situations work best with a mid-length belly spey line, then go for the Airflo Long Delta 9/10. I'm confident that it's a great match for the rod and the right mid-length line for it.

If you have any trouble locating either of these lines I think Mike or I can help you out!

Juro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where you can find an Airflo Traditional now

I'm not providing a plug of any sort, but to answer your question the folks at http://www.flyfishusa.com/ of Welches, Oregon are selling what you looking for under their Airflo spey lines on-line listings. I have bought spey rods from them, most recently a CND 1308SP, and the service there is excellent and they ship stuff cat quick.

Good luck.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Ahab, If you weren't providing a plug for Mark Bachmann you should have been. I think he has a great fly shop and while I have never met him I think he is a hell of a guy. When we were starting out he even gave Linda and I some advice on where to get steelhead flies. When my tiny shop grows up I would be tickled pink if it was half as good as Mark and Patty's shop. Some day I will get over to western Oregon and pay them a visit. From the pictures their shop looks pretty amazing. Take care, MJC

·
1,771 Posts
Ahab -

We can thank both the Flyshop of Welches and MJC's Redshed Flyshop for keeping this site running, along with all of our sponsors. It's not only acceptable to support our sponsors as they support us but something we strive to do as a way to say "thank you"!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Big Thanks!

I just want to thank everyone who took the time to post a reply, especially Juro.

Juro, you are awesome! What a wealth of information. I really do appreciate the time you take to post and help out.

And to everyone else, I read several other FF message boards but they don't even come close to the quality of the folks who post here. Thanks guys you're great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts