Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether Airflo tips are fully interchangeable on lines with different belly lengths but of the same rating?

I have the main section of what I believe is a Delta Spey 10/11, and wondered whether I could use the tips from a Delta Long 10/11 on it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
My guess, subject to the next post correcting me, :hihi: would be yes. As long as the tips are the same length/grain weight they should be 'shiftable' from one line to the other. The only 'fudge factor' might be a line with a 'long' forward taper vs. a shorter blunter (weight forward) config.

There the design might be quite different.

·
Migratory Angler
101 Posts
The Airflo tips for the Delta and Delta Long are the same weight. They are however, considerably lighter than the tips for comparable RIO lines. 8/9 Airflo tips would be light on an 8/9/10 Windcutter, for example.

-Nate

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Cheaters or compensators...

You seem to be setting out a reasoned argument for carrying some different lengths (therefore weights) of cheaters or compensators, to bridge any loading gap that may exist when trying to utilise one specific set of tips with another line/head where that line/head works best with heavier tips.

Mike

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.

Nate's reassurance that the tips are the same weight gets me at least 50% there. I seem to remember someone saying that the Airflo lines share the same front and rear taper across the range, and the longer ones simply have an extra section of level belly, which accounts for the increase in weight for lines of the same rating. If this is right, I think I should be OK.

Mike, thanks for the suggestion re cheaters, compensators etc, though to be honest, I'm not sure I can be bothered with all that stuff in this instance! I found the Delta belly section in a river - someone had obviously got hung up on some timber, and the line had broken at the back of the rear taper where it joing the running line - so it cost me nothing. I recovered the intermediate tip with it, but obviously have no others, but I do have a set of tips for a Delta Long. I thought that if I put a new loop on the back of it, I could use it a bit like a long shooting head, looping it onto some running line. If it doesn't work I'll use it to tie up my beans!

Thanks again.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The tips from your Delta Long will work just fine with the Delta you found. You will not need any cheaters. Your long shooting head will work just fine as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts