Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thinking about trying out an Airflo Skagit Compact head this year.

My current set up is a 11'9 7wt Ross Reach switch with a 440grn SA Skagit Extreme ( I have a floater and intermediate) and Rio slick shooter. The 440 grns casts very well for me.

The Airflo comes in 420 and 450grn. Which would be a better match, 20 gens less or 10 grns more?

Also anyone have any experiences, good/bad/ugly with the Skagit Compact heads? This is my Michigan/Ohio/Penn/NY steelhead swinging setup.

Thanks
J-

·
Recreational User
214 Posts
Without having cast that rod, I would tend towards the 420 Skagit Switch as a potential good fit - the SA extreme is [email protected]', and the 420 skagit switch is [email protected]'...slightly heavier when looking at average gr/ft, but right in the pocket of total mass for that twig. The shorter skagit switch heads are pretty neat lines for switchrods, even 11'9" "minispeys".

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Airflo compact skagit for me flies better and last longer, as you like the 440 SA I would go with the 450, if your rod is a true 7 weight the 480 may be a better fit.

Ian

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
The Airflo comes in 420 and 450grn. Which would be a better match, 20 gens less or 10 grns more?
Get yourself a scale, go to a a few shops, weigh a half-dozen Airflo heads of 450gr, come back and tell us if you still think this is a meaningful question.

Also anyone have any experiences, good/bad/ugly with the Skagit Compact heads?
Good lines, turnover big flies well, my preference for a Skagit head.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Hi Troutless
Are the heads not a consistant weight?
Bjay

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have an Orvis Access switch, 7wt. It likes the SA 440gr. I tried the AirFlo 450, and I like the shorter SA line better. I would recommend the 420gr also, but each rod is different, and so are peoples casting style, so it is up to you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As some have suggested maybe try looking at the shorter skagit head. I liked the Skagit Switch so much that I use it on all my switches and on my 7126. Haven't tried SA lines but I love the Airflo lines. The loops are tough and so is the line. Haven't had an issue with any the Airflow heads.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i would highly reccomend an Airflo skagit switch in 420, 450, or 480 (depending on the rod itself)

its a 19.5" head and a real cannon on my 7wt switch

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the airflo skagit switch at this point. Leaning toward the 420 to start with.

One question I have based on a few comments on Facebook etc is how do these heads do in cold water. I steelhead allllll through the winter. If there is open wadable water I'm fishing. Read a couple reviews that said the airflo heads get real stiff in the cold. Anyone have any experience with this.

Thanks
J-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts