Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What kind of leaders (float, intermediate) you would recommend for Airflo Scandi Compact 420 head?
Tapered, non-tapered, Mono, Polyleader? What are the real advantages of Poly compared to Mono? What about Flourcarbon TApered leaders for Intermediate usage?

What lenght would be nice for shorter rods (11-13 foot)?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Polyleader has two features. When it has significant mass it makes fly line longer so you can use achieve longer casts and cast same line in stiffer rod with polyleader. Polyleader can also be used to adjust fishing depth when different sink rates are used but IMO it is not very efficient.

Scandi head casts and fishes great with only mono leader. You can use 1.5 times rod length with small fly. When fly gets bigger it is necessary to shorten leader. Weighted and streamlined fly sinks fast when mono leader is long and thin when you do upstream mend. Usually such fly pulls leader straight even it is not tapered. Taper should help line straightening so for light fly it is recommended.

Fluorocarbon abrasion resistance is better than Nylon and its density is higher so in theory it sinks faster too but in practice it is difficult to notice. To save money and nature I use only fluoro tippet when fishing rocky waters.

I don't use polyleaders much because often their coating detach too fast so they become expensive.

Esa

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I like what Bender said above.

I use a 420 compact on my 13' 6wt Meiser S rod. It's a match made in heaven.

Though I do use mono leaders up to 20', I enjoy the extra anchor and mass of a poly on that line for that rod with this caster... it's all very personal.

It's usually a 10' Int Airflo, but the line will easily carry sinking polys and even short sinktips up to about 80gr with no problem.

Sometimes for a change in pace in the wintertime I'll fish leadeye bunnies off that line from a longish mono leader. Amazing how such a light line can carry so much freight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the info!

I have tried the 10' mono tapered leader and 3' FC tippet and it was really pleasure to cast, even with medium but light streamers.

I will try with 12' poly intermediate tomorrow and Shorter mono tapered or just the FC tippet at the end and report the experience! Also will try 6' Rio sinking Versileaders and FC tippets with bigger streamers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm currently using 10' fast/super fast sinking polyleaders with 5' mono tippets on the 330 and 420 scandi compacts. Whenever I used straight mono leaders with these lines the cast always seemed to collapse and instead of laying out straight the mono leaders coiled up in the air before being dumped in a big pile on the water. Has anyone else had this problem with the scandi compacts, or is it just my lack of proper casting technique?

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Im no pro but I assume its both casting teqnique and leader style. 5' is a little long for an untapered section but with a furled leader you may be able to pull that off.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
I use 10 feet of 20 pound flourocarbon then 3 to 5 feet 10 pd. flouro. then 8 or 6 pd. to get to 15 to 18 feet of leader. Size and weight of the fly determenes final length and weight of the leader. I buy leader material by the large 200 to 300 yard spools the wind them onto more durable home mad spools. Look up HOW TO MAKE LEADER SPOOLS in the search part of Spey Pages
Bjay

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Whenever I used straight mono leaders with these lines the cast always seemed to collapse and instead of laying out straight the mono leaders coiled up in the air before being dumped in a big pile on the water. Has anyone else had this problem with the scandi compacts, or is it just my lack of proper casting technique?
Thin nylon is so light that there is not much energy in line loop to pull fly to the end. Then if leader is thick it usually is stiff and it wastes line loop energy. Polyleader is heavier and pliable so line loop energy stays higher.

But if fly has enough speed when line loop advances to the leader it is the kinetic energy of the fly which pulls leader straight when fly has some weight and is thin. Some flyes have relatively more air drag than weight and require shorter leader or the use of polyleader.

If your problem was coiling nylon leader you can boil it in water which has some vinegar and it becomes soft. This treatment increase also Nylon stretch so only the thickest part of Nylon should be treated unless you want a shock absorber.

This treatment also reduces wind knots which usually is a result of stiff leader. Line loop stays narrow when running on pliable fly line but stiff leader cause line loop widening and when heavier fly follows lower flight path it can pass this wide line loop and there is a wind knot.

Esa

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm currently using 10' fast/super fast sinking polyleaders with 5' mono tippets on the 330 and 420 scandi compacts. Whenever I used straight mono leaders with these lines the cast always seemed to collapse and instead of laying out straight the mono leaders coiled up in the air before being dumped in a big pile on the water. Has anyone else had this problem with the scandi compacts, or is it just my lack of proper casting technique?
Echoing what Esa said. I find tapered leaders or polyleaders to transmit the energy of the cast better. Especially the Airflo ones.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
true dat.

I consider the poly as part of the head for casting and graining purposes, and it works beautifully that way. The polys, when matched with the correct head, provide good anchoring (better than a standard-length mono) and shorten the V-loop in close quarters.

I try to match the butt of the poly to the line tip diameter and energy flows seamlessly in the cast. Some real purty turnover, like buttah.:D

As above, I prefer Airflow tapered mono leaders when I use them. they are sweet, esp. the 15'ers. 5-6 ft of tippet, and you're bombing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
true dat.

As above, I prefer Airflow tapered mono leaders when I use them. they are sweet, esp. the 15'ers. 5-6 ft of tippet, and you're bombing.
Do you use tapered poly and tapered mono together? Or just poly and tippet or mono and tippet?

I understand now after some anwers here that I can add weight and lenght to the head with poly, but not sure if need to add tiny mono at the end of poly to match the taper or just tippet?

·
Registered
241 Posts
polys

Just add 3-5' of tippet to the poly. I find with a Scandi head that the poly and tippet together need to be at least the full length of the rod, if not longer.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Do you use tapered poly and tapered mono together? Or just poly and tippet or mono and tippet?

I understand now after some anwers here that I can add weight and lenght to the head with poly, but not sure if need to add tiny mono at the end of poly to match the taper or just tippet?
I have use only tippet with Poly because I think they are so light that turning long leader straight is not good but why don't when it is calm and fly is very small? IMO Poly is more the part of actual fly line!

I have Spey and OH cast only long polyleaders and tapered tips with 6'6'' 3wt and 7' 4wt singlehand rods so they are like a Scandi shooting heads when I want to use sinking line which I don't have for light rods. Because light SH rods have small guides I tie short piece of mono using Allbright knot to make rear loop tidy and then Perfection loop for running line. First time was when I was searching lead BB's and found one Salmon poly from west pocket and tied it to Dacron backing.

One thing which is very good with Polys are tippet rings which makes tippet change easy and connection becomes strong. With ring Poly and factory made (more expensive) tapered leaders last longer when they don't shorten when replacing tippet. However it is necessary to retie tippet ring eventually.

Esa

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bender, what is the average weight of Poly leader, for example Airflo Salmon 14 foot? I have found on the forum about 10' weight, but nothing on 14'.

I need scandi and skagit Heads for my small doublehander (converted #4 10' rod).

From what I have found, I need for that 200 grain skagit, 15-17 foot long. For Scandi, probably lighter and longer. Not sure if the Poly is heavy enough, even sinking 14' Airflo Salmon poly.

But you gave me great idea for my small 6'6" 3wt single handed rod and fishing with larger nymphs. It could be great with Rio Versitip 10', 1.5 IPS, have to try this!

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
14' airflow Int goes about 40 gr
Rio Versis weigh a bit more, maybe 50 gr for a 10' Int

1 - 16 of 16 Posts