Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came back from a weekend Steelheading the other week that was, unfortunatley, cut short by the failure of my loops on my Delta line. I hooked a rock and pulled to try and free the fly and the loop parted with only about two pounds pressure.

This is the second time the Airflo loops have failed on me and the very last time I will risk my fishing with somethig so tempramental!

The worse part is that I spoke to the dealer I bought the line from and was told that they had had over 15 of the Airflo lines returned because of the same problem - 15!!! What is going on? Has this happened to anyone else, or is this just a "story" going around? Can Airflo not get this problem sorted out?

Sorry Airflo, but you have lost a customer permanently now - no matter how good your customer service is!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fly line loops

I am sorry about your loop failure. I prefer the Delta's over every other spey line that I have used.

I try to never rely on the manufactures loops. The week link theroy. I replace all loops with mono loops that I make out of 50 pound braided mono. That way I know that they will not fail. Hope this helps others in the future.

Cheers,
Dennis

·
JD
3,609 Posts
loop failures

Someone should notify Rajeff Sports of the problem. Otherwise the problem will go unnoticed.

Rajeff Sports LLC
7113 NW 25th Ave
Vancouver, Wa 98665
(360) 694-2900 toll free (866)347-4359
mailto: [email protected]
www.rajeffsports.com

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Personally I prefer not to use store-bought loops. They are long, stick in the guides, often hinge, and often can't handle the rigors of sinktip fishing. I might not always cut the loops off if I buy an exchangeable system but always feel a home-made system is superior and prefer to buy the floater and chop it where guys like Simon Gawesworth say to. Much cheaper too!

I've been using this loop recipe (an original) for well over a decade and have had no failures when done right. In fact I've had igneous (sp?) rock eat thru the flyline while the loop held.

It might work for you... FYI

http://flyfishingforum.com/expertise/steelhead/lines/tipsystem.htm

Other than the loops, those delta and long delta lines sure cast effortlessly and the coatings are the most durable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the Kevlar loops at Kaufmans too. I whip finish the ends with fly tying thread and coat it in Aquaseal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just posted a similar problem on another thread(sorry I didn't see this one first).I just had the same thing happen to me on a 8wt Multi-tip line.The line was brand new and never used.On the first fish I hooked(a 8lbs sockeye),the loop broke and I lost a custom head.The line itself then continued to break with very little pressure all the way along it.The core looked way too thin to be rated at at least 30lbs.This was the biggest pile of junk I've ever come across and I too am sceptical about Airflow now.I was never 100% confident in the loops anyways as they just look too good to be true(although they cast great),but when the main line itself started to break off in 1-2ft sections I was pretty surprised and upset.I hope a local Airflow dealer will do something to rectify things but to be honest,I don't have the same kind of faith in the mono core lines as I do with those using a dacron-type core.

J

·
0 Posts
If I were you, I'd contact the Airflo people here in the USA. Call Tim Rajeff at Rajeff Sports at (tollfree) 866.347.4359. I can assure you that Tim will be very interested and concerned about your experience and will do whatever he can to make it right for you. I've used Airflo lines for years and have never had a loop failure. I also use Loop flylines which are also now currently being made by Airflo and never had a problem. My guess is that quality control failed to spot a batch of lines that were made on the wrong core since the integral loops are made from the core of the line. Or, if the failure is due to the loops you install yourself that are furnished with the line then perhaps the wrong strength lops were included in the box. There's no excuse for either of these, of course, but it's better that someone knows about it anyway. Airflo is replacing all the Delta and Long Delta lines sold before March of this year due to a flaw in the splice between the head and the running line. Supposedly only about 20% of the lines actually have the problem, but they're replacing all of them even if no problem is apparent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sinking leaders

This has nothing to do with Spey fishing,but a question for Dana. Because I was told that you had the answer.

I went out and bought a sinking leader. Because I can't afford to buy all them different types of fly lines And right now I can't afford a multi-tip system. What my question is, is how well do they work and what are the advantages of them.

I was thinkiing of using it off of my 5 wt floating line.. Oh it is made by Climax. I took it out in my kids pool in the back yard and it sinks like a rock.It's a 8'6" long and called type 6 sinking.

Thanks in advance. Got the why's and who's from watersprite.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dana,

Yeah, I believe I told him right and deferred to your knowledge base; understanding you expressed some interests is this tackle setup. And a Fall refresher would be nice for us neophytes.

ws

·
Registered
12 Posts
Answers???

Well so much for asking a question and not getting any answers. I thought that with all of the different type fly fishers out here I would at least got a half way answer to my question. So I will just lurk here from now on and not post. I guess that I'm losing my interest in this site.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
You should start a new thread if you have an off topic question. Some of us who are busy just scan the headlines and if we have no interest then we do not bother looking into the thread. So if you change topic your question gets missed. It is always a good idea to start up a new thread when the thread starts to go off-topic. Makes it much easier for people to follow discussions.

There have been some discussions in the past on this and doing a search will bring up a few threads on your question.

-sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
thank you

Sean I want to thank you for your info. I went to search and paged thru it and found a little of what I was looking for. Next time I want some answers I will start a new thread. That way it won't be so hard to understand.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tried e-mailing Rajeff Sports and explained the problem to them but I have had no reply.I e-mailed Airflow and they said to send the line to them(to England) for replacement.Hopefully I can get some better results locally.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Contact with Rajeff Sports

tonyd, It is amazing to me that you can't get a reply to your
e-mail to Rajeff Sports. I talk to them several times a week and they are always ready and eager to help me any way they can. Tim might be out of town. You might try this address: [email protected]. However, I agree with JR Spey your fastest contact will be via their toll free phone line. If Tim isn't there talk with Jarrod.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Rajeff Sports

I agree - I have had much better luck via the phone (866) 347-4359. I have not had much success with e-mail. I called regarding an older version of the Long Delta I have - they said send it back and they will send me a new one.

J

·
0 Posts
My guess is the person responsbile for the e-mail has been at the FFF Show in Livingston. He or she should be back by now, but the best bet is to call, especially since it's a toll free number.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recieved an email from both Airflow and Rajeff Sports regarding the Multi-Tip lines.Apperently the loops are made slightly weaker than the mainline core so that in case of a snag,it is the loop that breaks first.While this seems to make some sense I was surprised to hear what the actual rated strength of the Airflow loops are for the heavier line weights.The core of the flyline is 30lbs,which is about the same as most other lines on the market.However,with the addition of the coating most flylines gain some extra strength and the ones I've tested in the past are closer to 50lbs breaking strength.It seems that Airflow does not take this in to account when deciding on the breaking strength of the loops.Instead of making them sligthly weaker that the ACTUAL breaking strength of the complete flyline,they make them weaker than the streangth of the core alone.From what I was told by Airflow the loops only have a strength of 25lbs.This seems awfully light to me for 8wt lines and up.It doesn't allow much room for error when choosing a leader strength.I compared my line to my Cortland and the loops are 1/2 the diameter and strength(Cortland's are made of Spectra and look about 50lbs).The Airflow seems fine for smaller fish and light heads but doesn't seem very strong to use on custom heads or larger fish.I'm taking the line back to a local dealer tomorrow for replacement.To be honest though I would rather exchange it for a RIO or Cortland after finding out the rated loop strength.The new line will obviously be better than the one I had but I don't have any confidence in these loops now as far as using them for larger fish or casting sink tips.:(

·
Registered
143 Posts
This takes me back to my youth in the early '70s when I worked at long-defunct Harkley & Haywood in Vanc.

At that time a lot of steelhead fly-fishers (me included) used 30' shooting heads with a thin diameter floating runing line. Our most popular runing line was a Gladding, although sometimes we could get in a few Cortland 444's... The Gladding line only tested about 12lbs in a straight pull. I never actually tested the 444 but it was similar (I know because I broke a couple of heads off mine!)

I think we often assume that flylines are unbreakable because of their thickness. Not necessarily true.

Has anyone tested the breaking strength of the very thin running line of a well-used Windcutter?

Poul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts