Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

On another forum an FFFUSA and FFFEurope certified casting instructor said that he has one Airflo Platinum Lake line and it's breaking strain is about 4-6lbs. He can very easily snap it with a gentle tug.

I was wondering if Airflo speylines have this same "feature"?
Has anyone tested how much pull can airflo speys take? Or how the coating withstands fishing hours?

I was going to get myself an Airflo Delta Traditional but now I'm hesitating.

-Sakari-

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
My experience with airflo lines is that the coating is super tough, and they offer a 5yr no crack warranty to support their poly material. I have been mostly casting their shooting heads lately and their loop designs are tops, very slim and don't get caught in the guides.

The cores of their lines in the class I am using range from 20-35 # test. You should contact Tim Rajeff about any specific questions, he is a very impressive dude and knows his stuff inside out.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
So far zero problem with the lines.

"I was wondering if Airflo speylines have this same "feature"?
Has anyone tested how much pull can airflo speys take? Or how the coating withstands fishing hours?"

Use three of the lines consistantly and the 'only issue' I've found is they appear to stiffen up if it's very cold out.
fae

·
Registered
215 Posts
Give a dog a bad name...

SMS, I've noted the wide difference in opinion of Airflo lines on this site and in the UK. I won't go into details, but suffice to say that Airflo's reputation is less than perfect over here, and not without good reason. Airflo have themselves admitted to problems with some of their products in the past.

However, it would be wrong to assume that, just because some Airflo tackle has some well publicised faults, that their stuff is all, without exception, bad. I have a Long Delta multitip spey line, bought last year on the strength of the favourable views expressed on this site and have had no problems with it (although it hasn't yet seen as much use as I'd have liked). Compared to the price of the equivalent Rio line (the Midspey) it was a bargain, and I am happy with it.

In view of the criticisms that have been made not only of Airflo lines, but also their rods and reels too, I might be wary of buying anything of theirs that hadn't been tested by real fishermen quite widely and over some time. This is where the internet is so valuable for exchanging information. But, by the same token, if a product is tried and endorsed as widely as Airflo's speycasting lines have been here, I think there's little reason for concern.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Give a dog a bad name...

Gardener said:
In view of the criticisms that have been made not only of Airflo lines, but also their rods and reels too, I might be wary of buying anything of theirs that hadn't been tested by real fishermen quite widely and over some time. This is where the internet is so valuable for exchanging information. But, by the same token, if a product is tried and endorsed as widely as Airflo's speycasting lines have been here, I think there's little reason for concern.
This is exactly why I asked. Thanks Gardener.

Actually, thank you all for your replies. You've been very helpful.

-Sakari-

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I have read several reports over the years of their spey lines breaking at the junction between head and running line. Problem solved? I don't know. I don't own any of their spey lines, but have happily used their clear intermediate salt lines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Delta spey traditional, it has not seen a lot of work but so far I have had no problems with it. The shoot nicely with their hard coating.
Mike

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
LDT's

The only problems I've come across with my LDT multi tip 9/10 spey are 1) the loop to loop connection for the tip does hinge a bit and 2) there is no color change where running line and head meet so you have to measure and mark your line or you never know where exactly you want to hold the line to cast consistently. The hinging is probably unavoidable as, I'm told, all loop to loop connections will hinge a bit (or a lot, depending on the line). The color change is something I feel they just definitely should be doing. By not doing it they are playing below standard. However, the line is a good casting line and mechanically sound. (i.e. works great, as advertised).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unmarked head-to-running line connection is not a problem if the line isn't very dark.

Just get some dark (black) dylon hot color. Dissolve a small amount (half a tee spoon or less) of color powder into warm water (1dl or so). Add salt (about 1.5 times the amount of color powder). Mix. Wait for the salt to dissolve too. Put the part that you want to mark into the solution and wait 16h or so. Wash the line with water. Now you have a mark that won't come off.

!!!Use rubber gloves since the color will color your hands too. :eyecrazy:
Use a dispensable (plastic) cup.

I just colored red lengthmarks onto my sawada flatbeam. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've already had two (Delta speys) that broke at the junction of the head and running line, and was fishing with a friend when the same thing happened to his. I think the cause is a really weak weld there, not a problem with the core like you are asking here. After the line is put under strain (like a hangup) you can observe the weld starting to curl ever so slightly.

The Airflos feel great to the touch and seem to fish OK, but I will never buy one again, and won't even fish the one I have any more. Of course I can create my own connection (and have) but now I just don't trust it.

Circlespey

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Long belly Delta spey package markings.

Have a couple of the lines; one (or so I thought when I purchased same) was a 7/8 LD. Looking at the 'sticker' for the spool it refers to it as a WF7.

Correct, or did the retailer send me the wrong line (far too late to return same now)?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok then.

I'm no longer afraid of getting a bad line if I get the Trad.

Thanks to all.

Cheers,
Sakari

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The older Delta's and long Deltas had a lower strength running line that tended to break but this has been corrected on the newer versions. But the newer versions sure don't shoot quite as well as the older versions as the running line is bigger diameter.

I did have a 2 wt trout line that snapped when I was stretching it which was a bummer!! But I agree that Tim will sure take care of you if you are in the US and have a problem!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Long Delta Spey sizes

When Airflow started marketing their new spey lines, the Long Delta Speys and delta Speys of a certain size were made to weigh the same. When they started selling the lines with tips, they made the Long Delta Speys heavier than the Delta spey of the same size. Consequently is you have an older version of the LDS, your line will weigh the same as a newer LDS of a smaller size. I think that I have that right.
In other words, if yo have an older LDS 7/8 and order a new 6/7, you will have two identical lines. Neat huh?

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yep that is true. The old long deltas were light. I have an older 10/11 that is really a 9/10.

Airflo has all the kinks out now though. Also mention of the lines coming apart at the junction of the running line and the head is no longer a concern. Some older lines had a bump where the head ends and if you have this you can save some piece of mind by cutting this off and installing your own loops.

You will notice the newer lines no longer have this bump and the connection is now rock solid.

I still contend there is no nicer summer line than a long delta. Love it.

-sean

J

·
0 Posts
Also, if you have the older version with the bump at the junction, Airflo will replace it for you. Just call Rajeff's and let them know you'll be sending it in. The new ones (which means at least the last two years) are terrific.

M

·
0 Posts
Here is a question for Airflo competition users. What are these lines breaking strains, They seem to have some funny weights, one at 85grams I think. Cheers Max

1 - 18 of 18 Posts