Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a delta and a delta long. Both lines have the same problem. The coating breaks just behind the nail knot or wip finnish (back of loop connector). I have tried different knots and different loops but they soon crack behind the knot. I am affraid that the coating will slide off of the line if I get a big fish on. Has this happened to anyone else? None of my Rio lines are doing it so I don't think that it is something that I do.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
While I have had the random Delta/Delta Long crack I have never had any crack in the manner you describe. All of my demo lines are Airflos and all have a butt section nail knotted to the line.
I would call Rajeff Sports and discuss your problems with Jarrod. Rajeff's customer service is top of the line.
PS, The coating on the Airflo lines is softer then on the Rio's and it is possible to cut the coating when tightening the knot. Care must be taken to avoid this but once the knot is set there should be no problem.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Another reason

I like a loop in the end of the line rather than a nail knot. The nail knot compresses the coating and reduces flexability. The change in flex will produce a stress at the end of the knot and increase the chance of cracking. Put a loop in the line or a braided loop and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmm, you got me curious. I just inspected my Traditional, and no problem. I use a nail knot, and haven't had any problems.

Until MJC's post, I didn't realize that the Airflo finish is softer than the Rio, but I do recall now that I had difficulty in getting a good nail knot in one of my lines. I'll pay attention next time and see if it was the Airflo. Our other Airflo hasn't seen much use, so it's condition won't mean anything.

Anyway, as you know I recently put on the most pressure I think I've ever put on a steelhead, and the nail knot held up fine and still looks good. So I think you should contact Rajeff Sports. Weird, though, that you've had the problem with 2 different lines.

--Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are you supergluing over the braided loop and or over the nail knot? I had a similar problem with my Loop Quattro (made by Airflo), which had been caused by the shop supergluing the loops and sleeves on. This had made the end of the fly line rigid, which then caused it to crack just next to the rigid section.
I now use the "field loop" method described in the members section, and this works just as well as a braided loop, without risk of cracking as there are no hard spots. Would definitely recommend this method. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Airflo and nail knots

I encountered the same problem and in one case had the coating come right off the line. I was nail knotting mono to the line then tying a loop out of the mono, it wa sugessted to me to use heavier mono for the loops, went from 20 to 40 pound mono for the loops problem solved.

Ian

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had the same problem with an Airflo Delta, and Airflo replaced it. I think the real issue was the use of a heavy stiff butt section for the leader. I have replaced my 30#-40# max with ultra green in the 20#-25 range when I nail knot the leader to the fly line or any other softer leader material. So far so good.
Still have a cracking issue when using a mono loop on the end of my fly line and an looking for a simple solution for that. Not all fly lines are cracking.
Leroy...............................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.