Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Want to start speying.

I've only used shooting heads as far as it comes to 2-handers. Ok, I have one intermediate WF, which is quite horrible and haven't cast it since...mybe four years ago, and a Windcutter spey. As far as I'm concerned the WC is a head.

I want to get a line for either one of these two rods:
Gloomis glx 15' #10/11
Loop Blueline 13'2'' #9/10
I'm thinking of long delta or delta traditional. Which of these would suit the rods mentioned?

Btw, what's the core made of in the Airflos nowadays? Is it still kevlar or some another "super filament" :mad: or have they changed to dacron? I'd like to know because loops are hard to splice if the core isn't dacron.

Edit:

The lines' casting weights according to Peter's casting weight are:
Delta Spey 6/7 394,6
Delta Spey 7/8 416,1
Delta Spey 8/9 451,2
Delta Spey 9/10 488,1
Delta Spey 10/11 534,3
Delta Spey 11/12 594,0
Delta Long Spey 6/7 407,2
Delta Long Spey 7/8 428,1
Delta Long Spey 8/9 462,4
Delta Long Spey 9/10 506,6
Delta Long Spey 10/11 562,1
Delta Trad Spey 7/8 451,4
Delta Trad Spey 8/9 503,1
Delta Trad Spey 9/10 554,5
Delta Trad Spey 10/11 623,1

That's if I haven't done any errors. The weights are in grains.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank peter.

I might go for a delta trad spey 10/11 for the loomis.
And should I like it, I might buy a 9/10 long delta for the loop since it's shorter and used maybe mainly on smaller rivers.

The core thing... I wanted to know the material since the inter WF line, which I have, is made by Airflo like centuries ago :D. It has kevlar core -> practically no stretch and when cut the end is a bunch of shreds. If the core is from dacron it is easy to peel the coating and to make a loop. The dacron core cand be looped into itself since it is tunnel-like (hollow).

Does anyone know the difference between these lines:
1) Polyfuse mark/text on the top left corner of the purplish (??? is that a real word) package, line color is said to be white but looks a bit glassy. I think this is older. Product name is polyfuse delta long spey

2) No polyfuse mark on the darker (maybe black top section) packet, line color is white and really seems like white ivory in the picture. Think this is newer model. Mentioned product name is long delta spey.

Both are sold at the same (web)store but the first costs 40 percent less than the second
I'd like the cheaper price. Of course. :chuckle:'

J

·
0 Posts
According to their 2004 catalog, all current Airflo flylines have the term "Polyfuse Technology" on the box in large letters. The line is called the "Delta Spey Long". However, the last ones I ordered from them (August 2003) came in boxes NOT marked Polyfuse, but instead says 7000Ts Salmon/Steelhead Tactical Series and is called "Long Delta Spey". The 7000Ts is in white letters on a purple background. Interestingly, it does not say Polyfuse anywhere on the package that I can find. It does say it on the plastic spool, however. I do know that the whole Delta Spey line series was developed after the Polyfuse technology replaced their previous methods. I don't doubt that the lines may be the same, but that the boxes are just different. Contact Tim Rajeff (or Jerrod) at Rajeff sports and ask for clarification.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
core material

I was under the impression that all Air Flow lines had a mono core. Am I wrong on this???????? It changes how one makes the loops.

J

·
0 Posts
Actually, a little better than half of Airflo's lines have a mono core. They have several different versions of mono core for different applications. However, there are several lines whose core is multifilament braided nylon. As one would expect, this is to minimize the memory problem in lines designed for coldwater. All three versions of their spey lines have this multifilament core.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get the delta traditional for the GLX 15'. Is the 10/11 the best match? Recommendations?

Peter,
did you check what the guy (or gal) from your gang has on his glx 15'? Is it the long delta 10/11?

CWMs of the
trad 10/11 617gr
delta long 10/11 554gr

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok.

Peter,

I actually got a 9/10 XLT for the 15' GLX and not any off the shelf line for the Blue 13'2".

The XLT is great line but requires a lot from the caster. On a bad day it's a horrible line. On a good day it's a great line.

Anyway, you asked what CW's do the lines that work have.

The only line I've tested that works well with the Blue is 8/9/10 WC (2002 or 2003 model), CW=457. The 9/10/11 (model 1999?) is too much for it (I'll check/test again it today to be certain). I think that this rod is very picky about the lines it casts well. So, I think that 9/10 Delta will be too much if the WC is.

The 9/10/11 works in the loomis though, as does the 9/10 XLT (CW=???, 100' head). So this rod casts almost anything. The range is very wide. I'll be getting a Delta Long 10/11 for it since I don't have any of these mid-belly lines (yet).

Anyway, I got an opportunity to test delta spey last spring and I liked it very much. A lot better than (1999? and 2003) WC. Don't know if the WC has improved, caught and went by the delta since the last update though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I tested the 9/10/11 WC again and found it a bit heavy for the Loop.
So I have now one Delta 8/9 and one Delta Long 10/11 coming from the UK (placed the order yesterday). :smokin:

We'll see, we'll see...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
peter-s-c said:
Been thinking about a Delta 8/9 for my Blue -- might go for it yet.
I'll let you know how it works (in my opinion) on the 13'2".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts